Monday, September 13, 2010

Random Thoughts.....

Every time I write that I think of the "Deep Thoughts" skit that was on Saturday Night Live a long time ago. Anyways...it's Monday and I survived the weekend! Paige had an emotional breakdown at 6:17 am over her school shoes, but other than that, it's been an uneventful Monday....so far!

So let's talk about the GP Meeting, shall we? While I don't want to offend anyone, or piss anyone off, I just have to talk about a few things that really stood out over the weekend. There are some people out there that will tell you the sky is purple if they hear you say it's blue. That kind of crap just goes all over me. Here's an example:

We, the DFW area, have a really serious problem with cook offs being stacked on top of one another. Part of the problem is, in my opinion, CASI's lack of a real procedure that also benefits those volunteering to run cook offs, ie the COOKS! The other issue is something that you can't necessarily control, and that is promoters/charities who are dead set on having a CASI cook off regardless of whether or not the cook off will have enough cooks and thus make enough money. The other side of this situation is people who know better and continue to schedule cook offs that are on the same weekend as established cook offs, or cook offs 15 miles away. It's been a problem and it doesn't seem like it's getting any better. I guess this is why I want CASI, as an organization, to put some hard and fast procedures in place to help curb this problem. This would help us from the beginning not look like the "bad guy" and it would save CASI from the over the top black eye they might suffer by saying no to someone. Furthermore, if we want CASI to run like a business, then you have to have rules and procedures and guess what - that involves requiring people to follow them if they want to have a cook off. I'm sure Easter Seals, the Shriners, Habitat for Humanity, Susan G. Komen and a lot of other charitable organizations have to tell people no from time to time. I have yet to see any of them photographed with a black eye.

As usual, there is always someone out there who is going to dispute what you say no matter what. First of all, these individuals RARELY ever cook in our area or any surrounding area. In fact, I've never seen a few of them at any cook off in the DFW area since I've been cooking. Second of all, we are not all the same and what one area is experiencing may be completely different than what another area is dealing with. Hence my call for more consistent policies and procedures. Third, instead of touting how YOU get all the support you need from the board, why not work with us and tell us some of the things you are saying and doing to help these promoters move their cook offs. Obviously, this isn't difficult for you to do and instead of being condescending, why don't you try and help us out. I guess that's asking too much.

Fortunately, we really do have a good group of people in the North Texas area who try their best to work together and get all of the cook offs covered. So many times over the weekend I heard people (and rightfully so) talk about how the BOD are all volunteers, too and that we have to remember they have jobs and families that come first - I 100% agree with that. It has to work both ways, though. Many of us running cook offs, supporting Pods and traveling to support cook offs and charities have lives as well. It would be nice if we weren't expected to be in two places at once, or run all over creation in order to sanction a cook off because someone was hell bent on having one the same weekend as five others within a 20 minute drive. If CASI could come up with guidelines for promoters and charities, it would allow everyone to play by the same set of rules and make it easier for ALL of the volunteers in our organization to get out and promote Chili, Charity and Fun. (Which according to one candidate should be more than just a slogan.)

I'm also very, very pleased that the membership did not vote to award money to the TICC winners. I think that is quite possibly the worst thing we could ever to do CASI. I really don't give a rat's ass about competing with ICS. We are, and should always be, a charitable organization that does not award money to it's winners. Like I said on Saturday, we have people who can't even agree on what constitutes an ink signature on a ticket. Am I the ONLY one out there that thinks putting money in the mix when you have that kind of tension is a BAD idea? The fact that we don't have cash prizes is what makes us unique; it's what makes us, in my opinion, better than ICS. We are doing it because it's fun. As soon as you start involving money, the bickering, resentment and distrust will grow even louder among the membership. I didn't, nor did probably all of the people cooking today, get into CASI to make money. We all knew what it was when we started. Yes, I know that I am a very strong advocate for change and innovation. This just doesn't seem to be the best way to improve ourselves. Why not spend that money to advertise and promote CASI? The motion on the floor to award cash prizes was amended to reimburse the TICC winner up to $5000 for travel expenses should they choose to travel and promote CASI after they win TICC. I think that is a good idea. Still, I believe most of us want to get up on that stage to get that huge Chili Pepper trophy - not to win a hunk of money. I was really happy to see a past winner, Dana Plocheck, speak to the membership about keeping money out of CASI and continuing to allow that 20 pound trophy to remain the carrot at the end of the stick :0) What did amaze me, though, were the individuals who voted not to add another dollar to the scholarship fund because it would take money out of their pockets as well as the charities. But they were gung ho about awarding money to the TICC winners. Just an observation.

And a big HELL YEAH to the GP's for voting YES to start having the meeting in the same place each year. Thank you, thank you!!!

I thought many of the board members did an excellent job stressing how important communication between the BOD and the membership needs to be. I was also excited to hear how many of them recognize the need for better advertising and it seems that they will all work to improve how we get our name and message out to the masses. Congratulations again to David Sexton and Roger Foltz. I told Roger I got nervous when they didn't call out his name very quickly. I'm happy that both of them will be on the BOD and I think that they will both do a great job for CASI.

I also want to say thank you to everyone who told me they read my blog. I had no idea so many people read it. That's kind of scary!!! Sammie Plant - you crack me up woman!!! It was good to see you :)

It was good to see people that we don't see too often. I'm sure everyone is getting geared up for TICC in a few months. Gary has put the toyhauler in the shop for some maintenance work. I'm looking forward to the Halloween party we'll be having for the kids again this year. I've already put my mom in charge of decorations and Tyler in charge of the scaring of the little children :) I'm going to cover the food and I'm sure Lord Brignon will handle the pinata and candy. I've got to come up with a few good activities for the kiddos...maybe a scarecrow contest?

Speaking of food, Gammy has brought something to my attention regarding the Shoepeg Corn Casserole. She says that there should only be ONE can of green chiles. I say that's too bland and that you should use two! Since she doesn't want to set anyone's mouth and butt afire, I will correct the recipe, but with a disclaimer :)

Paige did AWESOME at her Karate tournament Saturday. She won the first sparring contest, and lost the second one. She also received a trophy for her "Cada" which is some other term for "form". I'm so proud of her and most importantly, she's proud of herself. Over the weekend she watched iCarly (which I no longer allow), so she was quite mouthy yesterday afternoon. She said things like, "you're kidding me, right?" when I showed her a shirt I bought for her - it was a cute little Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head shirt! She then informed me that was a kid's shirt and that she was a grown up. I quickly set her straight on that misconception. Anyways...I missed my Juicy of Love and Deliciousness!!

Have a great Monday everyone! I'll be back tomorrow!!!

Spreading kindness and joy in everything I do.....

Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment