Monday, June 27, 2011

The Weekend Adventures of Gary and Kelly

Monday is back again. I'm so happy.

I surprised Lord Brignon with dinner reservations Friday night. The surprising part was that the reservations weren't made at Pappas....or Sambuca! I ventured outside our culinary comfort zone and made reservations at Hibiscus. Gary and I have wanted to try it out for some time, so I figured what the hell and made reservations. Was it good? Yes. Will we go back? Probably not. The menu was overpriced - both food and wine. The service was very, very good; and the dessert was fantabulous. We started out with Tuna Tartare and it was really delicious. It had bits of red onion in it and was served with tortilla chips - we loved it. We each got salads; Gary got the Bibb salad with pecans and dried cranberries - he ate every bite of it. I got a field green salad with little balls of heaven - goat cheese baked in bread crumbs. (Yes, I am aware that these are not Jenny Craig items!!) For our entree, Gary got the ribeye (don't know why....he's a filet type of guy!) and I got the most scrumptious scallops. I loved mine - he wasn't the least bit impressed with his ribeye. I always remind him that his bar is set very high, but he insisted that this wasn't a "not as good as Pappas" steak; it just wasn't that great. He said the deep dish macaroni casserole was to die for; we also had fries fried in duck fat. Sounds gross...but no! They were DELICIOUS!!! We also had a damn good dessert...it was an Almond Brown Butter cake with poached apricots and Lavender Vanilla Bean ice cream. That was really the best part of the night.

So, I guess my review sounds kind of confusing...we liked it, but we won't go back. Yeah...that makes a lot of sense. It was good, like I said. It just didn't rock our world for the amount of money we spent. And we didn't order a bottle of wine, or anything like that. We ordered cocktails before our meal and they were terrible. The wine was severely overpriced - a glass of The Prisoner was $18. Yes, EIGHTEEN FRIGGIN DOLLARS!!! You can buy a bottle for $32 :) It was a nice restaurant and I loved how they had candles burning in the fireplace in lieu of a fire. Unfortunately, it just didn't make a big enough impression on us. But, don't go by my opinion alone...try it out. The service really was very good and informative. And that is always important! Hopefully my next adventure into the world of Dallas dining will turn out better!

Gary and I both got up early Saturday - he went to work and I went shopping!!! I went with a few friends to two antique malls - Sisters in Saginaw and Lone Star in North Richland Hills. Sisters is small..but had some good stuff. Lone Star is huge and I went a little batshit crazy!!! I found some amazing deals. I can't wait to start decorating my trailer. I have picked up some really unique things to put in there and I'm so excited. My mom and I solved my cushion issue. I've emailed pics to Budda since I can't manage to take my trailer to him and I just need to order a few items from the RV place in Palmer. Over the next few weeks I'm going to powerwash it, scrape all of the caulk and then re-caulk and paint. I cannot wait!!!!!!

We had Sushi Saturday night - Oh My God!! The Las Vegas Roll was unf*ckingbelievable. God it was good! I ate part of that and the Ahi Tower...kind of my favorite thing right now...LOL! And to think, you can get all of the delicious sushi you want in the big town of Bristol, Texas :) I walked yesterday morning, Gary went to the store and we cleaned around the house. I decoupaged...oh yeah - I made Zoe's train case Saturday night - and napped and just had a really low key day.


Loved True Blood last night. Unfortunately, no Alcide...but the little bit of Eric was just fine with me. HELLO!!!!! I read "Something Blue", the sequel to "Something Borrowed" and loved it. Very, very good book. I woke up this morning with a headache and didn't get into the office until almost 11 am. Now, it's after 1 pm....yeah...typical Monday around here!

Oh - you must make this:

Cadillac Cowgirl Sassy Carnitas

1 Carnitas Roast (Mexican Pork Roast...don't get one bigger than 4 lbs)
2 Tbsp Mild Bills Sassy Syrup
1 Can Beer (I used Lone Star, but any will work)
1/2 Bottle Texas Redneck or Head Country BBQ Sauce
1 Onion, sliced
Mild Bills BBQ Rub, salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a large dutch oven, lay the carnitas in it and add the beer, Sassy Syrup, BBQ sauce and onion. Add salt and pepper (don't go crazy, you can adjust later) and cover it with the BBQ rub. Cover and braise for three hours or until tender. Check periodically to make sure there is still plenty of liquid (you don't want it to burn and stick) and adjust the seasonings along the way if needed. Serve as a sandwich or tacos. Enjoy!

I know it's similar to the last time I made carnitas, but I think this is better. Gary loved it....and that's always important :)

I'm still soldiering on via Jenny Craig and my Couchto5k App on my iPhone. I love it and I'm using it to help me lose weight AND get ready to run the Turkey Trot this Thanksgiving. I have committed to running the 5k portion of the Turkey Trot and I'm determined to do it - even if I have to walk a portion of it. I'm down two pounds this week and I weigh in tomorrow. If I stay at this weight, I'll have lost almost 13 pounds in 7 weeks. I'm really proud that I've been able to do this, but I'm nowhere near my goal weight. I'm not going to stop till I get there!

We spent lots of private time with the babies this weekend. Muffin managed to scoot on his back across the rug in the living room to get close enough to Gary so that he could rub his muffin. The boys would nap, then play; nap, then play. Eddie will go get in our bed in the afternoon when he's ready to take a nap. And, if we aren't in bed by 9pm - he goes in there by himself. He is such a queen and Gary totally spoils him rotten!!! He and Waylon couldn't be more different - looks or personality. Waylon is the biggest dork...and he's SUCH a spoiled brat. He's so afraid he's missing out on attention. If one of us is loving on Eddie, he'll just barrel over him to get in our faces, roll on his back and show us his muffin. He's a strange little dog. Come to think of it, all of my dogs are strange. This was the scene this morning:



Waylon wanted to keep playing; Eddie was done. So, Muff stalked Eddie from the couch. Eddie laid on the cozy cave and gave Waylon his typical, "I am so superior to your freakish ass" look. Waylon never budged...neither did Eddie. Waylon stared, Eddie ignored him. If I hadn't picked them up and put them in their crates, Waylon would have eventually launched himself onto the Eddie and the cave via his signature WWE body slam move. It's times like those that I really don't blame Eddie for being totally over the Waylon experiment. Too bad for Eddie...cause the Muff ain't going nowhere!!!! LOL

Fred is doing better. His hair is growing back and he's lost some of that excess weight. He's still a food freak. He got a loaf of bread off of the counter last week and ate it. What else is new? Fred was forever changed by those months in the motorhome. If he sees any kind of carb sitting out - bread, kolaches, tortillas - he steals it and eats ALL of it...including the bag or box that it's in. He's got issues. He needs some prozac.

CASI Board meeting this weekend. Anyone announce that they were running for the open positions? Did any of the membership show up? I didn't, so I guess I can't get on my soapbox. Wait a minute - yes I can!!! Hey, at least I've been to a few...but I really did want to go shopping with my girlfriends instead. I can't wait to see the minutes :)

Gary's back is feeling 100% better; so is his leg. I just hope this lasts for awhile. I know he doesn't want to have back surgery. Busy week ahead....got to get the toyhauler ready for Harvey West's cook off this weekend, need to make my potluck dishes, laundry (ugh...I hate laundry), swimming class and karate! Whew - I'm already ready for Friday just thinking about it!!!

Have a great day....keep it real :)

The Cadillac Cowgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment