Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Ramblings....

I guess this is what you would call Thanksgiving Eve! I'm getting into gear; boiled 30 eggs last night! I'm going to make my peas, mashed potatoes, dressing and sweet potatoes tonight so I'm not all over the place tomorrow. Our turkey and ham will be delivered today, so those just have to go into the oven to warm. I'll have to put my rolls out early so that they rise and I think that's it. I love Thanksgiving and tomorrow is going to be great. I'm also excited that it's going to be cold - I can have a fire in my fireplace while I'm cooking...hell yeah!

Paige has a dentist appointment today. Her permanent teeth are coming in sans enamel and she's very prone to cavities. When she was born (10 weeks early) her body stopped producing enamel. If that is the only lingering effect her premature birth has had on her, then I would say we are pretty damn lucky! Fortunately she likes going to the dentist, so it's a pretty easy trip each time. She's seeing a different dentist today, one that specializes in pediatric issues.

If you are buying a vehicle from me in the form of payroll deductions, not only do you not let the insurance lapse, you do not, under ANY circumstances, allow some gun toting punk to drive it. When I have to interrupt my day to obtain insurance and bail my Navigator out of the DPD auto pound at $300 a pop, I tend to get pissed. Fortunately, I have another trailer that needs work and I will own this certain individual for awhile.....he's like my kid....only worse.

I'd also like to write a letter to HEB Food Stores. When I moved to Ellis County and discovered HEB, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Nine years later, not so much. The HEB in Ennis is atrocious. It's small, old, cramped and constantly packed...and usually out of what you need. The one in Waxahachie was recently remodeled, but it still isn't big enough to service the vast majority of people from Ellis Co. that shop there. The parking lot is too small, the store needs to be the size of the entire shopping center and they need to add back most of the items they stopped carrying when they "remodeled to bring you more items." Whatever. So what does HEB do? They build a friggin brand new store in Burleson the size of an HEB Plus. Burleson? Burleson? They won't build a bigger one in Waxahachie because they said there's no need for one. But there is in Burleson? That's such bullshit! I can't handle going to the one in Waxahachie. It's packed, the parking is a nightmare and it seems like I age 10 years every time I leave. They will never do anything to the one in Ennis, so it really pisses me off. I have started going to the Brookshires in Kaufman that is very nice, spacious and friendly. The only crappy thing about that is that it's more of a Sunday type grocery trip rather than going on a weeknight. So, Harold E. Butt, I'm imploring you, PLEASE do something about the HEB's in Ennis and Waxahachie. Thank you.

Anyone cooking chili this weekend after they gorge on Thanksgiving food? Gary and I are taking a break this weekend. There are cook offs coming up the following weekend that we will try to attend. Wichita Falls always has a great cook off and so does W. Tawakoni. There Irving Police and Firefighters will also be having their cook off in downtown Irving that Saturday. Lots of good cook offs to choose from and plenty of places to get those points.

There are so many reasons why I'm looking forward to owning and operating Mild Bills and this is one of them. Think of all the spices I'll get to play with!!! I've also started writing down all of the great ways to use Mild Bills jellies, relishes and preserves. I'm going to make half of my deviled eggs with the Jalapeno Relish. You can also use it to make a spicy chicken or tuna salad. I'm going to puree the Habanero Peach Preserves and inject either a chicken or turkey and fry it....or a pork loin. Same with the Jalapeno Jelly - perfect for using as a marinade for chicken or pork. The possibilities are numerous and I cannot wait to start incorporating ideas and recipes for all of the products on the website. I'm going to be on Cloud Nine. This is going to be so much fun and it really is a dream come true for me. I can't wait!!!

I hope everyone has a wonderful, relaxing and blessed Thanksgiving. Good luck to anyone getting up at some ungodly hour Friday to go shopping. I don't know if we'll be doing any Black Friday shopping this year...at least not in the wee hours of the morning. Enjoy your families and food and kick back and relax! I'll post recipes Friday...or Saturday...or Monday :)

Spreading joy and kindness in all that I do......(and thankful that I'm able to)

Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment