Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Vegetarian Chili

I'm making chili for Paige's school and one of the ladies in the office is a vegetarian. She asked if I could make vegetarian chili for her and I told her sure...as long as she didn't mind being my guinea pig! Tonight was my first foray into vegetarian chili and Gary says I sort of kicked ass with it. I liked the results, too. Here is the recipe:

Cadillac Cowgirl Veggie Chili

1 Can Diced Tomatoes, do not drain
1 Can Hunt's Diced Chili Tomatoes in Sauce, do not drain
1 Can Kidney Beans, drained
1 Can Black Beans, drained
1 Can Cannellini Beans, drained
1 Medium Onion, chopped
1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
2 Tbsp Gebhardts Chili Powder
1 Tbsp Cumin
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Telicherry Pepper
1/8 tsp Cayenne (or Hot Stuff if you have it)
1/2 4 oz Can Hunts Tomato Sauce
1/2 4 oz Can El Pato Tomato Sauce (yellow can)
1/2 Can Vegetable or Chicken Broth

In a large soup pot, combine all of the above ingredients, except the Cumin - you don't want to add it too early or it will become bitter. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer over medium heat for 30-45 minutes or until tender. Add the tablespoon of cumin, stir and continue cooking over medium low heat for 15 minutes. Serve with cornbread or crackers.

I'm enjoying a nice glass of Woodbridge Pinot Noir. It's light but still has enough of a spicy kick to be interesting. I really like it. I also got the brand new Barefoot Contessa cookbook and I've been perusing it off and on this evening. TONS of amazing stuff in there! I love her and if I ever win the lottery, you can bet my happy ass will relocate to the Hamptons, have a farmstead selling my goat's cheese and milk and be the happiest redneck on the block!!

Does your skin get really, really dry in the winter? Mine does and I discovered if I use the Neutrogena body oil after I take a shower and then use lotion after the oil has been absorbed by my unnaturally dry skin, I'm not a dry, withered mess. I know that's sort of off the cuff, even for me, but try it!

Gilbert Charlie Robison is doing well. He lets us pet him and Paige has been able to pick him up and love on him. He's a cute little thing and Eddie wants to "love" him. Jesus.....

Black Dog Fred has Cushings Disease. It's a disease that causes the body to produce too much steroid hormone and have a freakish appetite...which would explain why Fred eats other dog's poo, leather boots, fish food, loaves of bread, tortillas and raw filet mignon, among other things - like his dog food. It also causes the dog to drink assloads of water and piss a river, which Fred is famous for. He will start his drug therapy in a few days and will hopefully return to normal; whatever that might be for our dogs.

I gave Gary my BB Torch so that I could go back to my Bold. Well, he doesn't like it and I'm not due for an upgrade on the account until August. So, I'm either going to have to go back to the Torch and learn to love it or pay out the ass so that he can have a new phone. Hhhmmm.....I'm not sure what to do. A friend just bought a Torch and she loves it....says I need to spend some time with it. I guess I didn't spend a whole lot of time personalizing it. Still, I don't know if that will solve everything. I guess I'm going to have to give it another whirl.

I believe I'll sign off for the evening. I'm ready for bed. Have a wonderful evening.

Over and out.....

Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment