Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Ramblings, Part Deaux

Oh!!! The best thing about tomorrow??? The requisite family viewing of "Talladega Nights - The Ballad of Ricky Bobby". "Don't you put that evil on me, Ricky Bobby." God, I love that movie. And Leslie Bibb is GENIUS in it...."Hey Driver, look at these." Okay...I'm getting carried away. Still, I shit you not, that is one of my favorite movies and I watch it EVERY Thanksgiving. I'm so friggin excited!!!

I've been cooking and I've entered Dressing Nirvana. I've created the most amazing dressing that I don't think I'll ever be able to top it. I didn't know it could be done. It's really that good.

Cold Front! Cold Front! Do you know what that means? All of Ellis Co. will be at the Ennis and Waxahachie Walmarts stocking up on water, firewood, frozen pizza and milk because, you know, we'll be trapped in our houses for days! Have you ever been near a Walmart prior to bad weather? You must go...it's a treat. The place is FRIGGIN packed and you can't find a parking spot. You also can't drive down Hwy 77 in Waxahachie because of the back up of cars overflowing onto the main street from the gas station. The shit is CRAZY! And everyone is in their parka and gloves....in 50 degree weather. Priceless. I'm chatty this evening....obnoxiously, Child like chatty :o) LMAO

My child, my poor, poor child. Her teeth suck. She's going to require 4 stainless steel caps on her back teeth and one of her front teeth is coming in without all of the enamel. She's looking at a possible root canal, too. A 6 year old with a root canal? I know, right? I may get a second opinion on that; but I'm on board with the caps and the sealing of the front tooth. Poor thing. I guess it could be a lot worse. Yes, dental work is painful and expensive - thank God for dental insurance. She's young and it will be more difficult for her because she's a kid and her attention span is 5 minutes max. Still, it could be a hell of a lot worse...she could really have serious problems from being a preemie, so I'm thankful that it's just teeth we're dealing with. Which by the way, can be replaced with falsies :) Can you imagine...she'd have teeth she could take out when she wanted to be a Super-Redneck!!! Always looking at the bright side!

Well, I wasn't going to cook this weekend, but Tom and I have been talking and we're concerned we might become bored by the weekend. Gary is up for a cook off, too. Problem is...not a lot of cook offs to choose from. Damnit.....

Check out my recipes below. I'm going to post the sweet potato casserole and dressing recipes Friday.


Cadillac Cowgirl Pea Salad

3 cans Le Sueur Baby Peas, drained
1 small Onion, chopped
2 T Dill Relish
4 Boiled Eggs, chopped (whites and yolks)
1/4-1/2 Cup Mayo, depending on the consistency you prefer
8 oz Velveeta, diced
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all in a large bowl; adjust seasonings and mayo to taste. Cover and chill 2 hours to overnight.

Cadillac Cowgirl Mashed Potatoes

7 or 8 Medium-Large Russet Potatoes, peeled and diced
1 Cup Heavy Cream
1/4 Cup Milk
6 T Salted Sweet Cream Butter
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a large dutch oven or stock pot, boil the potatoes until tender; drain and return to pot. Keep on the stove burner while mixing the ingredients (this will help absorb any remaining liquid and keep the milk warm and melt the butter). To the potatoes, add the cream, milk and butter. Mash the potatoes until smooth and then stir with a spoon to combine. Add additional cream if needed for creamier potatoes. Salt and pepper to taste.

You know how people always warn you not to touch your eyes after you've handled peppers? Well, you should listen to them. I didn't and now I'm blind in one eye. I think I'll just keep drinking wine until I'm blind in both eyes...then it won't matter :)

Have a FANTASTIC Thanksgiving! This is without a doubt my most favorite holiday, behind Halloween, and I plan to enjoy cooking for my family and making sure they are all well fed and happy. Our turkey and ham showed up this evening (Honey Baked Ham Company...if you haven't before, then you should) and is resting comfortably in the fridge. A big pot of beans and a Honey Baked Ham bone will be on the menu for Friday. Hell Yeah!

Tonight, I'm thankful that my snoring husband is asleep on the couch...and here's to hoping he stays there :)

Kelly
The Cadillac Cowgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment