Monday, November 15, 2010

Gilbert Charlie Robison the Guinea Pig, Pork Butts, The Champion and Other Assorted Observations.....

First of all, I'm a crappy blogger. My blogging conditions must be ideal before I will share my opinions with the world :) Haha!!! I was just too sick to blab, I mean blog, last week. I'm feeling better today, thankfully.

Did everyone have a great weekend? Here are the results from Saturday's Denton Elks Lodge Foxy Ladies CCO:

23 Chilis

1. Babs Johnson
2. Dru Stewart
3. Kelly Brignon
4. Tom Dozier
5. Debbie Longabaugh
6. Keith Longabaugh
7. Suzie Herrin
8. Budda Manske
9. Rick White
10. Jennifer Moore

We had a fantastic time, as usual! Paige came out and entertained everyone and Tom even found time to cook hot dogs for all of the little people:) The weather was great, the company was even better and the chili was all very good!

Paige and I met Gary, the kids and his parents at Pappas for dinner Saturday night. The Juicy damn near made a sculpture out of her bread! She's always such a good girl when we have dinner there. She had her own pat of butter for the bread and she even tried lobster for the first time. She didn't ask for the Sommelier to pour her a glass of wine, but she did sniff the cork. Gotta love her. Dinner was amazing as always. Tyler kept the crab mac and cheese next to him and didn't share it with the rest of the table. We've created another monster.

Sooo....Sunday was the day to make the bunny purchase. Using reverse psychology, I helped Paige decide that maybe a rabbit wasn't the best pet for her situation and perhaps a guinea pig or hamster would be a better fit. Not wanting Gilbert the Rabbit to meet an untimely fate by way of one of our hounds, Paige decided to look at another alternative. Off we went to Petsmart and Gilbert the Guinea Pig was chosen by the girls. He is now living in the friendly confines of P's room in his roomy cage, complete with a bed and a tunnel. We've got to pick up a few more items for him so that his living quarters are up to par. This morning, Paige decided to give Gilbert (pronounced Gil-fert (for those of you with no front teeth)) a last name...because, you know, it can't be Brignon. She settled on Charlie Robison as his last name. She is now the proud parent of Gilbert Charlie Robison, the Guinea Pig. While she was getting ready this morning, we had the following conversation:

Paige: Mommy, will Gilbert be lonely while I'm at school?
Me: Well, he will be at first, but he'll get used to your schedule.
Paige: Don't you think he needs a friend?
Me: Let's just have one for awhile and see how that goes. You don't want to overdo it.
Paige: Did anyone ever tell you that you were overdoing it when you got seven dogs?
Me: Yes, but I don't listen to other people, Paige.
Paige: Oh. Why do I have to?
Me: Because I said so.
Paige: Oh. Okay.

So Paige brushes her hair and her teeth. While she's standing in front of the sink, here come Eddie and Waylon. Paige looks at me and says:

"But Mommy, if Gilbert is by himself, then he won't have anyone to love on his back the way Eddie loves on Waylon's back."

I said, "Paige, that's a good thing. We don't need a bunch of Guineas running around."

Paige replies, "Yeah, because if Gilbert has someone on his back, they'll start birfalizing."

And off we went to school........

How in the world can my Monday can any better...or worse, depending on how you look at it?!?!?!?

Gary and I are still trying to figure out our electric smoker. We've been covering our brisket and ribs and now we've figured out that you aren't supposed to. We smoked an ass, I mean pork butt, for almost 12 hours yesterday. It was a smokin ass by the time we were finished....sorry, couldn't help myself. We'll try again next weekend, or not!

On other hand, the pasta dish I made last week was a success. Here is the recipe:

Cadillac Cowgirl Pasta Italiano Casserole

1 lb ground beef or turkey, seasoned, browned and drained
1 lb wide egg noodles, rigatoni, or penne, cooked to al dente and drained
1 16 oz jar pasta sauce
1 Cup Mozzarella cheese
1 Cup Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the first three ingredients in a greased 2 quart (8 x 8) casserole dish; mix well. Top with the Mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 10 or until the cheese is bubbly. Serve with garlic bread and a salad.

This was extremely easy to make. I used ingredients I had on hand, also. Ground meat and pasta can be the base for just about any kind of casserole. No pasta sauce or Italian cheese? Use canned tomatoes, tomato sauce and American cheese if that's what you have in the pantry. You can also add mushrooms, onions and/or bell peppers. If you have macaroni instead of rigatoni or penne pasta, use that instead. I'll try and be creative (but not make something gross) instead of going to the store or getting fast food. I try to make dinner at home as much as possible. I'm not real sure what my stepkids eat when they're not with us, so I do what I can to make sure they get healthy meals the days that they are with us. I suspect they live on fast food when not in our care. Oh, how I'd love to go on...but I won't. And no, I'm not knocking fast food....I just don't think it should be a kid's, or teenager's, main source of food every meal of the day.

I wonder if that qualifies as my rant of the day? Oh, wait! No! I haven't gone off about the onslaught of Christmas before we even have Thanksgiving!!! Give me a break! I went into Target yesterday and hanging from the ceiling are 50 "Merry Christmas" signs. WHAT THE HELL??? Can we please have Thanksgiving first for God's sake? Christmas is great and I love it to - IN DECEMBER. AFTER THE HOLIDAYS THAT PRECEDE IT. This is the real "Nightmare Before Christmas" if you ask me. When I can't even buy Thanksgiving decorations because they move them out to make room for Christmas crap in OCTOBER and the first week of November, I get pissed! And those horrible Christmas song remakes? Ugh! I don't like Gloria Estefan and Josh Groban any other time of the year....so listening to them screw up good Christmas songs while I'm still in shorts in November is just completely unnecessary. Jesus. Okay...I'm done.

The Champion and his trophy will be at The Gingerbread House in Waxahachie tomorrow night! Come out to the NOW Pod's monthly meeting as we start preparing for our February 3 day cook off. This will be our 10th annual cook off and we are looking forward to another successful weekend!

Have a great Monday everybody!!

Spreading joy, kindness and the Christmas spirit (only in December) in everything I do......

Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment