Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Things I Think About.....

As a parent, most of us are concerned (some very little, some a lot) with what our kids see and hear - be it from us, siblings, TV and movies, the general public...you name it. I have a salty mouth and for the most part, Paige has not picked up on my language beyond the initial slip up to see what happens. But really, the bad words aren't what I'm afraid of. Here are some of the things my child hears and says at our house:

"Show me your muffin"
"Lick me, lick me, lick my face"
"Do you want to have sexy time?"

Now, before all of you look up CPS's phone number - hear me out. These are things we say to our DOGS.....LOL! That sounds even creepier, doesn't it? When Waylon, one of our dachshunds, rolls over on his back, we say he's "exposing his muffin." So when any of us are playing with him, or Eddie, we'll say that to them. They love to have their tummies rubbed. They're VERY spoiled little dogs :)

The "lick me" comment actually came from Paige. She was sitting in the floor one day after school and the dogs were just jumping all over her. She kept telling them to lick her, meaning, give her kisses. Gary and I both snapped our heads up when we heard her say it. It kind of freaked us out.

Sexy time is when it's bed time and Gary and I take the dogs to bed...still sounding creepy, I know. We tell them it's "sexy time" and then they get in the bed and play with each other until they pass out. Eddie and Waylon love each other, so that's part of their "private time".

Here's what I'm beginning to wonder: will Paige know when it is and isn't appropriate to say some of these things? Can you imagine if she told a boy "show me your muffin"? Or what if we heard her say, "lick me, lick me, lick my face"?????? Or even better...we come up on her and a guy and she asks him if he wants to have sexy time.

OMG!!!!!!!

I guess we could watch what we say....and we usually do, but none of us are saying anything bad. It's just the context that we are using them in versus the context she might use them in later on as a teenager. That could be the scary part!!!!

Those are some of the earth shattering things I think about when I'm driving in my car. I ponder the impact of our words while I'm also solving the BP Oil Crisis, global warming, and other life altering situations we're facing....LOL! Being a parent is serious business!!!!

I hope everyone's Tuesday is a good one. I'm looking forward to cleaning my office and getting reorganized from the last two weeks. It's been helter skelter around here and every time I think it's slowing down, it just gets busier. I'm grateful that we're busy...but looking forward to a break. I'm pretty sure I'm going to Canton this weekend for a little retail therapy and I'm definitely excited. Next weekend will be our trip to the River and we are ALL excited to go float for Bubba's birthday.

I'll be back tomorrow.....until then, show off that muffin!

Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment