Wednesday, July 21, 2010

File Under: Why I Haven't Blogged This Week





These are pictures of my desk/work area. It looks like a bomb went off in here. I've been billing since last Friday and I'm still not finished. I don't know where anything is....I don't care where anything is. I just want to make the red folders go away :) A mercy killing....mass murder of job folders....whatever it takes.

Sooo....I've been to two Pod meetings since my last "legitimate" blog. Let's start with the TOT meeting. I was really happy to see all of the input from the people at the meeting who are committed to taking the TOT cook off and making it better - either by working with what we have (Irving Elks Lodge) or revamping the charity and location all together. The problem that needs the most attention, though, is lack of Pod participation. What can we do to get new cooks involved with the Pod? I know a membership drive helped Cowtown a few years ago. What about turning the meetings into something more than just a discussion about chili? We've been saying for a long time that outsiders don't want to come watch a bunch of people cook chili in the heat - maybe we should take that approach with the cooks and potential new members. Let's spice it up a little. Add something fun to the meetings. Maybe if we can increase the fellowship part of the meetings, more people will see it as something fun to do rather than just an hour out of their lives that they have to talk about chili. What about a theme meeting - a Mexican, Italian or Chinese potluck to go along with it? A costume party - I know...sounds kind of lame, but I'm desperate here. It's going to take imagination and hard work to build the pod back up so that we can focus on rebuilding the TOT cook off held each May. Do I have any takers? Any suggestions? Things won't improve unless WE make the effort and it's going to take everyone to make a difference.

The second Pod meeting was the NOW Pod meeting I attended last night - I sort of have to, I'm the GP. Our meetings are quick, easy and friendly. We discuss our business and luckily, we don't have to worry about our Pod cook off and charity - we are blessed. Our membership is down, so we are going to focus on bringing in new members and getting them involved. I think it will be a task we can accomplish. We have a great core group of people who bust their butts and keep things in perspective. We're fortunate in the sense that we haven't had a lot of the internal problems that other Pods have had to deal with in the past. I worry about our membership, but we've always been a small pod. I would just like to bolster our numbers...get some "new victims" involved with CASI!!

We touched on the GP meeting also and I expressed my lack of interest in this year's meeting. I know; that sounds bizarre considering how much I pontificate about CASI and it's issues. I've always supported CASI, the local pods and what I feel CASI is really about. I hate that a GP involved with the GP meeting (because there is no Pod hosting it) felt the need to reply to the meeting minutes and call out the remaining GP's who haven't registered yet for the meeting. Hhhmm...wonder why they haven't registered?? Lack of faith in the process? Lack of faith in where the money is going? Lack of interest considering there's been very little interaction between those hosting the meeting and those attending? And the individual who made the comment on the ED's blog this morning is absolutely right in her description of the GP meeting and why we should get registered. It's where the GP's (allegedly) have a say about what goes on in CASI. But to register because I need to thank the individual hosting the meeting because of "all they've done for CASI"....I don't think so. In my opinion, the way the GP meeting has been handled for this year has been an example of what is wrong with the GP meeting format. When it was pointed out to me that the Board does not appoint the Pod or individual(s) who will host the GP meeting, they merely, I guess, facilitate the vote by the GP's, I didn't say anything. But the more I thought about it, the more I felt like that was a cop out. The Board loves to use the "in the best interest of CASI" reason when it's convenient for them. I can't think of a more obvious situation in which the Board needed to step in for the "best interest of CASI". Who cares if there wasn't a place to have the 2010 when it came up in September 2008? The 2011 meeting site wasn't decided upon until either right before or right after TICC 2009. I don't see why there was such panic. There was time to find a Pod or group of Pods to host the meeting. I feel the need to call bullshit on the explanation I was given. I have an immense amount of respect for the individual who took the time to talk to me about the process of coordinating GP Meeting locations, but I do not believe for one minute that the Board didn't feel like they could step in and override the GP's. They do it plenty of other times - I can't believe this one instance was different from any other.

So back to my gripe about the self assigned GPM hall monitors. I'll sign up when I'm damned good and ready. And it won't be because of what anyone hosting the meeting has done for CASI. I can't really go off here because I'm already as close to naming names as I feel like I should be at this point. I start in on that and I'll probably start Chili Armageddon. Anyways...what's the big deal? I've got until August 15th to turn in my paperwork and I'll turn in my registration at that time as well. Get over yourselves already.

Whew - I feel better already :) I've had a lot built up over the past few days. Now, on to my next topic:

TEXAS OPEN

Unknown to most of the North Texas Pods, the Houston Pod no longer wants to host the Texas Open. According to CASI rules, any interested Pod(s) can put together a proposal to host the Open and present it at the GP Meeting. The GP's then vote and a new Pod gets to take over the Open. Right? In theory, on paper, and historically, yes. In reality, uh no. Apparently (my other favorite word besides allegedly) the Pod no longer interested in the Texas Open and a Pod that wants it have already worked out the details for it to be taken over by the new Pod. That doesn't sound quite fair, does it? Doesn't sound like it's being handled according to CASI's rules, either. Funny, I believe (oh wait - I know) a few board members already know about it and haven't been very forthcoming with the information or the reminder that it has to go before the GP's at the meeting. Oh - I get it....the Pod wanting to take over the Open will make a presentation at the GPM and how odd...they'll be the only ones who submit a proposal. Do I sound sarcastic and smart ass? You bet I do because that is total bullshit. I was unaware that any one Pod owned, for lack of a better term, any of the Opens/Regionals/Championships and could assign it to whomever they wanted to. And I was unaware that it was something that could be done without notifying all of the Pods so that ANYONE could submit a proposal for it. Huh...I wonder if that's something someone could submit to the Governance Committee? And even if they did, would it get brought up at a Board Meeting? I seriously doubt it. At the last two CASI BOD meetings, the Governance Committee has had "nothing to report." That's a crock. I know damn well that issues have been brought up for discussion to the Governance Committee chairperson and those items have not been brought up at any meeting. I don't know if anyone realizes this, but the lack of interest in what the Committee members are presenting to the Director in charge of the committee is doing more harm to the reputation of the committee members than anyone else. How do you think it looks when CASI members are reaching out to the Committee members and their concerns are being swept under the rug? It makes it look like the committee members aren't sharing the issues with the head of the committee. When, in fact, they are - and nothing is happening after the issues are being brought up.

Have any of ya'll heard of a book called "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest"?

Well, I'm going to go now. I think I've made my point several times over throughout this posting. I hope everyone has a FANTASTIC day! I'm looking forward to the Brignon Family Laundry Party this evening.

I'll be back tomorrow...spreading something :0)

Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment