Friday, July 30, 2010

Hello Friday!!!

Wow - I can't believe the weekend is upon us. I'm so excited!!! Paige has a belt test this evening, Canton tomorrow, lots of good food and adult beverages throughout the weekend....what more could I ask for? I hope to attend Mass Sunday morning - we haven't been since Easter. We had been attending the Episcopal Church in Ennis and liked the church and Priest, just didn't like the time - 10 am. We like to get up early and go to Mass. If we don't go till 10:00, then we sleep in and don't do anything productive. Then, we get out of church and go to lunch and don't make it home until 1 pm or so. The whole day is then shot because you know we're all going to take a nap. We like to get up, go to Mass and get back home and on with our day. Plus, if we want to go cook chili, then we can still fit that in. We're members of St. Anne Episcopal in DeSoto....it's just so far from our house now. When we lived in Waxahachie, it didn't take long to get there. I think we're going to try and get back in the routine of going to the 7:45 am service over there and see how we do. There is an Episcopal Church in Waxahachie with an 8 am service, and one in Corsicana as well. So I guess we've still got some options.

I've got my list ready for Canton! Gary and I are going to get up early in the morning and get out there! I even think my sister is going to go along with us. And the Juicy, of course. She finished her last swimming lesson yesterday and did great! She has a belt test for Karate this evening. She says she's a "little bit nerbous", but I think she'll do just fine. She's been practicing her splits and she kicked butt when she was sparring yesterday.

I was happy to see that the Houston Pod had to announce their decision to let go of Texas Open and make it public to all of the Texas Pods. I hope that the North Texas area Pods will work together and submit a proposal to bring the Open back to this area. I think it would be a good thing for some of the Opens and Championships to be a little more spread out instead of concentrated in one area. With the exception of SW Open and Tri State Open, everything else is down south. That includes the new US National Open, Men and Women's State, and Texas Open.

I also found it very interesting that Keith Karaff announced his decision to run for ED a day after he had to publicly acknowledge that the Houston Pod was giving up Texas Open. This was also after the Houston Pod tried to give it to another Pod without the knowledge of the other GP's and Pods in Texas. Does anyone know where I'm headed with this????? I like Janice Miller and think she's a very nice woman. I don't believe she will be re-elected if Keith is running against her. I could be completely wrong - this is just my opinion. Still; if he is elected, is he going to be able to enforce the rule book when he very clearly sidestepped it in regards to handing off Texas Open? You can bet that will be a question I ask at the GP meeting. I'm glad to see more people announcing their intention to run for the Board. I believe the BOD needs new blood and I like having options. So far, David Sexton and Roger Foltz are the only two individuals I plan on voting for. I have to submit a complete ballot for my votes to count....not looking good at this point because I don't see myself voting for the other incumbent director. I think CASI needs people to serve on the board who are enthusiastic and willing to listen to and act accordingly to the membership - not their own best interests. Anyone who thinks that implementing an auto debit in an effort to keep membership dollars coming in rather than ACTIVELY pursue members is, in my opinion, the very root of the problems CASI face. I have to give Keith Karaff credit for some of the statements he made in his letter announcing his intention to run for ED. He recognizes that it is going to take WORK, ACTUAL WORK, to return CASI to it's previous days of popularity and to propel it into something that is easily marketable and recognizable. Having an apathetic board is doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for this organization.

I have been asked why I don't run for the Board if I bitch about it so much. I did last year when I felt my work/home balance would afford me the opportunity to have plenty of time to devote to CASI. I no longer have anything that resembles a work/home balance and I'm also pursuing other ventures at this time. If and when my life allows me extra time to put my money where my mouth is, you bet I'll run for that Board again. I'm not afraid to put myself, my mouth, and my ideas out there to be questioned, supported or criticized. I'm not afraid to stand up and call bullshit when I think it's appropriate. And I know I'm more than capable of working with others and helping CASI run like a business that listens and acts upon the advice of ALL of it's members - not just a select few. I hope that those individuals running for the Board will show some balls this year and do what's right for everyone involved in CASI - not just themselves.

I'm off to finish what has been an extremely productive work week. I hope everyone has a great weekend and I'll be back on Monday!

Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment