Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Ramblings of a Crazy Person

Happy Tuesday Everyone!
It's been a busy, productive day at Mild Bill's Spices.  I had a helper today and that was really nice!  I've got fish tacos on the brain, so after while I'll run to HEB and pick up some tortillas and such.  I've got fish at home, so just need the accompaniments to go with it!

So, I went back to my neurologist three weeks ago for a few fairly serious issues that had become worrisome over the past 3 months.  I wasn't right to begin with, but the concussion I suffered 2 years ago didn't do me any favors.  Well, one of the first things my neuro doctor strongly suggested was to stop taking my Cymbalta.  I've been on Cymbalta since we built our house...so almost three years.  I wasn't super excited about her suggestion.  While I am not depressed, Cymbalta helps with my (formerly) frequent panic attacks and just sort of chills me out.  I've enjoyed taking it, but I had noticed a few things going on with me that I didn't like, in addition to the issues I thought the neuro surgeon should address as well.  What I wasn't looking forward to was the horrific headache, nausea and night sweats (I mean, you're detox-ing basically) that come with a Cymbalta withdrawal.  At this point, I was like "f*ck it!!".  So, I finished out my most recent RX and took my last one last Wednesday.  It took until early Sunday morning (like at 1 am...LOL) for the Cymbalta to finally leave my body as I woke up with the headache and DT's.  Once I dealt with that, it was smooth sailing.  I really worried about my temper (I've got a pretty short fuse.  I know you are all shocked to hear that) and I also tend to have really bad anxiety attacks.  I haven't flipped out yet, which is nice; and, I haven't had an anxiety attack.  That's really nice.  I hope that I can stay off of the Cymbalta so that I can reclaim a few personality traits that really are more important to me (and my family!!) then being doped up and unable to beat anyone's ass if I wanted to....hahaha....just kidding.  But seriously - Cymbalta and anti-depressants are a wonderful thing.  This one just finally ran its course for me and was starting to cause other issues.  I was also really excited that I made it through a Monday without harming anyone or anything!  But then again, Mild Bill's Mondays are completely different from T&B Mondays!!  At any rate, I'm really looking forward to this journey.  It's nice to actually experience a few different emotions for the first time in ages.  I mean, I wasn't even getting really pissed when I was on it.  Yes, I'm being serious.  Those rants?  That was just extreme annoyance.  I've got more energy, I'm more focused, I'm just experiencing better clarity for the first time in a long time...and I love it!!!

Speaking of clarity...

Drawing a line in the sand isn't always a bad thing.  Sometimes you have to stand up and say exactly what you think.  Even if it is a somewhat censored, PG version of what's going on in your head.  I actually had some pretty harsh things written here, but what's the use?  Some people just don't get it and never will.  Why waste any more of my time screaming and hollering about it?  Hell, I just wasted five minutes of my life talking about it that I'll never get back!!  Moving on.......

We spent the weekend at Larry Joe Taylor listening to some fantastic music, drinking beer (and gin....lots of gin apparently) and just having an all around great time.  I don't know if this food vendor was out there last year, but there was a little food stand that made wood fired pizzas.  OMG!!!  They were AMAZING!  I had a Margherita pizza Thursday night and a Cherry Bomb Saturday.  The Cherry Bomb had cherry tomatoes, basil, spinach and huge chunks of mozzarella on top.  Yum......it was so good.....

There were 74 chilis Saturday at LJT.  I got 4th...which is awesome, of course.  But, damnit, I wanted 2nd!!!  I would have qualified with 2nd place.  But nooooo......I'm going to have to cook this weekend and probably one or two more so that I can get qualified.  I don't even remember the last time I wasn't qualified in May.  It's been a super long time.  Oh well.  You only need 12 points.  I'll be happy if I can get them!  Shit - we never cook anymore.  I'm looking forward to cooking this weekend with my Chili Child and the Renegade bunch.  It's going to be a hell of a time!


So, I get emails from India Palace with coupons and information.  They sent one out about Mother's Day.  I would LOVE to go there Mother's Day.  Unfortunately, no one in my family besides my sister will eat Indian food, so I guess I'm shit out of luck.  We normally go to Pappas.  Not sure this year.  Hell, I'd be happy with Babe's Chicken. 

Mild Bill's has debuted new chili blends.  My personal favorite?  Spice Mistress, of course!!  Seriously, though, I am loving Spice Mistress, Mild Bill's Original and Cadillac Cowgirl Chili Blend.  They are great base chili blends that can be used the same way as SA Original, SA Red and Colleen Wallace.  They're all fantastic!  I'm also carrying two more blends from Pendery's.  You should be able to figure them out.....MB Dynamite and Nuevo Mexico Light?  Anyone?  Anyone?  Buehler?

I bet ya'll are a little surprised that I made it this far into my post without one mention of the beautiful and scrumptious Armie Hammer.  There ya go.  And I'll post a gratuitous picture of him as well.  MMMmmmmmm.......




Last night at the store, Paige made herself some Mac and Cheese before Karate.  She walked up from the kitchen and the child had on LATEX GLOVES!!!!  I keep a box back there for dealing with jalapenos.  Gary and I couldn't keep a straight face.  It was just so funny.  She was completely nonchalant about them and it cracked us up.  She's also learning how to draw a self portrait....she's quite into it.  We went to Bubba's BBQ in Ennis last night (I had salmon.  Seriously.) so she could get ribs.  They also make pea salad and it's GOOD!!!  She was quite chatty at dinner.  It's never a dull moment with the Juicy of Love and Deliciousness.

I'm giving my pancreas a break this week.  And my liver, too, I guess.  I drank a lot on Thursday.  I didn't realize how much beer and gin I drank.  Apparently (as Paige loves to say), I drank the entire bottle of gin.  There was a little left.  Gary poured it out.  Then Mark told me he'd sneak me some of his Tanqueray....LOL!!  But, seriously!  I drank way too much.  But!  But!!  I ended up sleeping in the truck Thursday night (don't ask) and it was the most restful sleep I got the whole time we were there.  My escapades were nothing compared to my husband's.  First of all, I don't get hangovers.  I was up and moving just fine the next morning.  Gary?  Not so much.  He didn't come in until 2:36 Saturday a.m. and he was in ROUGH shape.  He fell in some dog poo (I guess Eddie left him a present) and he kept yelling at Mark, Vic and I to help him because, "he'd been rolling around in it for an hour and a half." (He'd been in there for maybe 5 minutes)  Then there was the attempt to high five Vic and she wasn't having any of it.  And then he ate a sandwich over the sink in between passing out and waking up.  He left the cheese, mayo, lunch meat - everything -  out on the counter.  I had to throw it all away the next morning.  He finally woke up around 12:30 pm.  He spent the rest of the day sweating out the Champagne of Beers.  Hey - he had a good time.....if he can remember it!!

Speaking of dog poo.  My dogs went above and beyond the definition of douchebags this past weekend.  They were HORRIBLE.  Especially Eddie.  He was AWFUL!  And usually, it's just Waylon being Waylon.  But not this time.  Eddie was just such a shit.  And then, when we got home, he got on the couch and curled up on his blanket so that he could take another nap.  I mean, duh, he was worn out!



All I could think about when we got home was (in order of importance) a serious pedicure and a home cooked meal.  I got both.  Below is my recipe for the very delicious Pork Loin Roast with Onion Gravy.  Enjoy!!

Cadillac Cowgirl Pork Loin Roast and Onion Gravy

For the Pork Roast:

1 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 lb Pork Loin Roast (not a picnic or shoulder roast, this is more like a loin)
1 Large Sweet Onion, sliced
3 Cups Chicken Stock
1 Package Lipton Onion Soup Mix
2 Tbsp Butter
Salt, Pepper and Mild Bill's Pacific Beauty Paprika
Thyme Sprigs (about two or three)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Sprinkle the pork loin with the salt, pepper and paprika on all sides - be generous with the seasonings.  In a large dutch oven, melt 2 tbsp butter over medium high heat.  Once melted, brown the pork loin on all sides; add the onions and turn the heat down to medium.  Cook the pork loin and onions for a few minutes.  Turn the heat back to high and add the chicken stock - this will allow you to deglaze the bottom of the dutch oven and pick up all of the brown bits that help make the stock richer.  Allow to come to a boil, and sprinkle the soup mix over the top of the pork loin and in the stock.  Throw in the thyme sprigs, cover and place in the middle rack of the oven for an hour and a half.   Remove from the oven and insert a meat thermometer.  Once it registers between 145 and 150 degrees, it's good to go.  Allow it to remain in the dutch oven while you make the onion gravy.
For the Onion Gravy:

1 Cup of Cooking Liquid from Pork Loin
1 Cup of Milk
2 Tbsp Butter
2 1/2 Tbsp Flour
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a medium size skillet or soup pot, melt the butter.  Once melted, add the flour and whisk it together until it is combined and turns a deep yellow color.  Add the cooking liquid from the pork and turn the heat to high; bring to a boil.  Once boiling, add the milk.  Allow it to boil for just a few minutes, whisking constantly.  Turn the heat down to medium and continue to whisk until it begins to thicken.  Let it continue to cook over medium to medium low heat until it reaches the desired consistency.  You can always adjust the thickness of the gravy by adding a little cooking liquid or milk to get it just right.  Taste for seasonings and adjust with salt and pepper if needed.

To serve, slice the pork loin and serve with mashed potatoes...topped with that delectable onion gravy!



Gary is reading through the State Fair of Texas Creative Arts book that lists all of the food and craft competitions you can enter at the Fair.  I'm gearing up to defend my title.  Hell Yeah!!!  He smarted off to me this morning that he has more ribbons than I do.  I quickly told him that I had the only color that mattered - 1st Place Blue!  Hell Yeah....and a nekkid Big Tex to go with it.  Let's see  him top that!  He better watch his mouth - I mix his spices :)

Keep it spicy....and for God's sake, keep it REAL!!!!

The Cadillac Cowgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment