Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Blackened Salmon Salad

I have been craving salmon for the past few weeks, so last night was the night. My husband has been craving mandarin oranges, so I married them together (for his salad) and had a divine supper last night. Super easy, quick and healthy - make it soon!!!

Cadillac Cowgirl Blackened Salmon Salad

1 lb Salmon Filet
Field Green Salad Mix
1 Carton Champagne Tomatoes
1/4 Cup Red Onion, diced
1 Cucumber, peeled and chopped
2 oz Goat Cheese, crumbled
1/4 Cup Sliced Almonds and/or Pecans
Paul Prudhomme's Salmon Seasoning
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Eyeball it....but about 4 Tablespoons)
1 Cup Mandarin Oranges (I bought the Del Monte Fruit Cups and used one)
Salad Dressing of Choice

Liberally sprinkle your filet of salmon with Salmon Seasoning, set aside. In a non stick skillet, heat the extra virgin olive oil. When it's hot (don't let it start smoking) put the salmon in seasoned side down and let it sear on medium high heat for about 3-4 minutes. You want it to get a nice, blackened char (not burnt, but you know what I mean). Turn it over and continue to cook it at medium low heat 5 minutes per side until it is cooked through. (Salmon will turn a pale "salmon" color when it's done). When finished, set it aside to cool.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine enough salad mix for two people, (I figure two cups of salad per person), the tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, almonds or pecans and the goat cheese; mix well. Divide the salad onto two plates; cut the salmon in half and lay each piece over the top of the salad. If you want mandarin oranges, drain most of the liquid from the oranges and then drizzle the remaining liquid and oranges over the salmon and the salad; otherwise, just add your dressing of choice to the salad. I used lowfat Honey Dijon; Gary used Ranch...we both ate all of our salmon and salad.

I did my Couch to 5k run/walk last night and my Brooks Trail Shoes are AMAZING!!!! My feet didn't hurt one bit afterwards. My legs weren't real happy with me, but I figure that will die down in time. I'm probably going to just walk this evening. I'm to the point that I can handle going every evening..even if it's just a brisk walk on my off days. I have serious weight to lose and I'm willing to run/walk/live on Jenny Craig until it all comes off. Not only do I want to look better, I want to feel better, too!!!

I'd love to stay and chat, but I've got an assload of work to do. Have a great day and stay cool.

Spreading my own special brand of kindness and joy in all that I do.....

The Cadillac Cowgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment