Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Greetings and Salutations!!!

Good Afternoon!

How was everyone's weekend? Mine was eventful to say the least. We got up Saturday morning and drove to Gruene and floated the Guadalupe for about 3 hours Saturday afternoon. Then we drove back to Austin for Bubba's birthday dinner at Ruth's Chris. The boys were too funny! One of Tyler's friends absolutely refused to let the server remove his lobster bisque from his sight. I thought he was going to slap her hand at one point! We had such a fantastic dinner and discovered a new wine. It's called The Prisoner and it's from Napa Valley. It's a blend of several different grapes: Cab, Zin, Merlot ("I'm not drinking any f*cking Merlot." Best line ever), Malbec and Pinot. Gary and I really enjoyed it. I'll be looking for it next time I buy wine. I also bought Becker Vineyard's Malbec this weekend and it's also a fantastic wine. Man, I sound like such a wino.

Anyways, let me get back to our float and my near death experience. Saturday was an easy float. The Guadalupe was running very, very slow and it was very manageable. We all had a really good time and it was pretty relaxing. It was P's first time on the river this year and she tends to have a ton of pent up excitement and has a hard time containing herself the first few trips. She's sort of all over the place trying to jump out of her tube, swim in the river, stand up in her tube, etc. She normally calms down after about the 3rd trip. Still, we had a great time. Until Sunday. That's an entirely different story. The boys decided they would forego the river trip to the Comal. Paige loves the Comal, so we headed to New Braunfels. She was also on us about going down the tube shoot. I am not a fan of the tube shoot. I go down it, but I don't like it. I've never flipped, but I've had a few close calls and it just isn't my idea of a fun time. So, off we went, the four of us, down the tube shoot. Everyone made it down just fine. That wasn't the problem. The problem was when I got caught back up in the tube shoot current and flipped. I lost my tube, my beer, my Charlie Robison koozie, and my awesome Miller Lite hat. And I almost drowned. There is a fabulous undercurrent that runs under the tube shoot. So there I am, in the middle of where people are being shot out into the Comal trying to get out of the way, out into the middle of the river, and I keep getting pulled back under. It's not deep, but there are a ton of rocks and there are people and tubes hauling ass out of that shoot - so you run the risk of getting kicked in the head. Luckily a nice lifeguard saw me and helped me out. The best was yet to come, though. I get back over to the other side where Gary and the girls are waiting on me and mind you, have been WATCHING the whole time, and my husband asks me, "Where is your tube?" A little pissed, and a lot out of breath, I yell at him, "Probably at the bottom of the F*cking Comal along with my hat, beer, and sunglasses, Gary." I mean, really???? I almost drown, he watches me almost drown, and then asks about my tube. Not me, my tube. Have I mentioned we're happily married? That's okay...he flipped five minutes later and ruined his cigarettes :)

That is why I HATE the tube shoot and why I will never, ever allow my child to go down it again. That could have been her. Or Zoe. Every time I think about it, I get sick to my stomach. I think we'll just get in past the tube shoot from now on, thank you very much!!

Sunday was Tyler's actual 16th birthday and just when he thought all he was getting for his birthday was dinner and some lame ass vacation to the river with his parents and sisters, he came home to this:


Happy Birthday Bubba!!!! He was so excited and so surprised. He had no idea he was getting a car. It's a 1968 VW Beetle with green flames painted on the the sides. I can't wait to show him how to drive it - it's a standard!!

Good day to all....I'm going to catch up on some work. I'll be back tomorrow to spread my own special brand of kindness and joy....and some recipes!

Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment