Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Happier Times and Posts.....

HEB in Waxahachie will let you donate $1, $3, or $5 to the American Red Cross. 100% of the donations go to areas affected by the Texas wildfires. This is great for all of us far away from friends and families in harms way who still want to help :)

No...that isn't necessarily a "happy" post considering millions of acres have burnt along with people's homes. But, it is a positive step to help out the people, pets and areas affected.

We returned triumphant from our trip to Gruene. Floating - check. Delicious food - check. Charlie Robison sighting and physical contact - Check, check!!!! He told me he "loves my ink."

HE TOLD ME HE LOVES MY INK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't remember what I said to him, but whatever it was, it didn't scare him or make him feel like the two sheriff's nearby needed to intervene in our meet and greet :) Zoe also racked up some goodies with CR....he gave her a pick, let her play his guitar and when she met him, he told her, "I love redheads." And not in the creepy Wooderson from Dazed and Confused way, either. He wrote, "Gingers rule" on the card he autographed for her. He was really nice and gracious and the show was just outstanding. Love, love, love that man!!!



The wind was blowing like a sonofabitch Sunday, so we swam in the pool instead of floating. We floated the Comal Saturday and it was packed and sort of a beatdown. I really wanted to get on the Guadalupe, but with the wind and the low water level, it would have been a disaster. My mom and I went shopping at the San Marcos Outlet Mall and I raided the Lauren Merkin clutches at Neiman Marcus Last Call. They also had a Juicy Couture shirt for who else - The Juicy! They had two, so I bought both of them...one of them says, "kisses from the juicy" and the other one says "no one loves you as much as juicy"!! Too cute!!



We also did some shopping in downtown Gruene and I got Zoe a really cute cowgirl shirt with rhinestones all on the front. Saturday, I had the most kick ass hour and a half massage at Gruene Day Spa. It was INCREDIBLE!!!!!! My neck has felt so much better since then. We had ribs at the Gristmill Sunday night and I love their cold baked potato salad. I think I've posted my version of it in the past. We also love their Wurst Sausage appetizer. Get a piece of Wurst with a pickle slice and some spicy mustard...hell yeah!!!

So, all in all...I had a wonderful birthday! My parents bought me a really cool cookbook holder that I can't wait to use. I bought myself a new pair of boots and then gave them to my mom as an early birthday present.



I then succumbed to the charms of a turquoise bracelet and ring. I couldn't help myself. They're beautiful.



Los Pinos Ranch Vineyard in Pittsburg, Texas makes some killer wines. I got Gary to try their Meritage and he loved it. My in laws love the Pinky Tuscadero and the Rosie the Riveter Rose wines they produce. I love them too; especially in the summer. They are visiting the winery this weekend. Go in laws!!!!

Last night was the season premiere of Sons of Anarchy. HELL YEAH!!!! Gary and I love that show. Lord Brignon requested fish and salad for dinner. Yesterday at HEB, they had Sea Bass and Rainbow Trout. Torn, I bought both :) Last night I fixed the Sea Bass and it was EPIC! Below is the recipe for deliciousness:

Cadillac Cowgirl Roasted Sea Bass - The Sequel (to the sequel...how many times have I made some version of this????!!!)

1 lb Sea Bass Filet
Olive Oil
6 Garlic Cloves, peeled and left whole
Handful of Italian Parsley, chopped
Obie Q Lemon Pepper
Salt and Telicherry Pepper

Preheat the oven to 425. In a shallow baking dish (I use a 1 1/2 qt Le Crueset Gratin dish - it's the perfect size) drizzle about 1/4 cup of olive oil in the bottom. Using tongs, coat the fish with the olive oil on both sides. Lay the fish in the dish (that rhymes!!) and coat with the lemon pepper, salt and pepper. "Coat" is a pretty vague term....but I use about 1 tsp of salt and pepper each and 2 tsp of lemon pepper seasoning. Sprinkle the parsley over the fish and in the olive oil in the dish; add the garlic cloves to the dish and coat them with the olive oil as well. Roast for 30 minutes at 425 degrees, turning the dish and stirring the garlic around at least once. Reduce the temperature to 400 degrees and finish roasting the Sea Bass for 10-15 more minutes, dependent upon the desired degree of doneness you prefer. I'm not big on medium rare or medium cooked fish - so I cook mine until it's well done. The beauty of Sea Bass, and I've said this before, is that it is a super oily fish. Add the olive oil to the equation and it is virtually impossible to overcook it. If you want it to have more of a crispy top, turn the broiler on high for a few minutes to get a nice char.

If you do happen to overcook it, let me know how you did it so that I can make sure I never do the same!!!!

I served this with a healthy Cobb Salad last night. Turkey bacon, cucumbers, tomatoes, avocados, red onions, goat cheese, hard boiled eggs (whites only) and light dressing. Sea Bass and salad is a super filling and healthy meal. The fat from the olive oil and avocado is the good kind of fat that you need and it helps fill you up. Trout is on the menu tonight. Maybe mustard roasted with some pecans??? Yum!!!!!

I've got my Hank tickets......YES!!!!! Charlie last weekend, III this weekend. Oh my....I may not be able to contain myself!!! I'm also so excited about Paige's karate tournament Saturday. I know she's going to kick complete ass, too!!!

I hope everyone has a wonderful day. This weather is pure bliss. I don't like to pray for natural disasters, but if God could send a hurricane or very strong tropical storm our way, I think we would ALL be grateful. My prayers go out to everyone affected by the wildfires and I pray for a swift end to them and no more lives, land and homes lost. Even when I'm busy being caustic to asshole vendors, I keep my prayers going up to God in hopes that he'll hear them :). He has to - right? If we lose our faith in God's ear, then what are we left with?

Keep it real folks,

The Cadillac Cowgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment