Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Is It Friday Yet?!?!?!?!?!?

Whoa...what a week so far! Yesterday was crappy - even by Monday's standards. That cold rain was just completely uncalled for! I'm so happy the sun came out and the wind died down today. I know how much this wind has driven everyone crazy, but we're all going to be wishing for it in July when it's 110 degrees outside and nary a breeze in sight!

I forgot to mention my daughter's completely awkward behavior last Tuesday at our neighbor's house. I guess what is normal to me is probably a little "off" to others. I'm betting the neighbors (their names have been left off to protect them!!) didn't hear what she said, but still...it was cringeworthy. I was trying to get her out of their house and she was fascinated by their cat. Well, the cat was being playful and let Paige pet her when she rolled over on her back and exposed her belly. Paige, being Paige and coming from our cracked out house, declared, "Mommy, she's showing her muff." I couldn't get her up and get her out of the house fast enough. She didn't do anything bad....I just didn't want the neighbors to think we were complete weirdos. I don't think they heard her, but it was funny nonetheless. She asked me when we were driving down the road to the house if she had said something bad and I told her no. I just explained to her that that word can mean different things to different people and even though we're talking mainly about Waylon's belly when he rolls over on his back, not everyone will know that so we have to watch when we say it. She seemed somewhat satisfied with my answer.

I pulled blackberry vines from my flowerbeds Friday morning and bled like a son of a bitch. Those vines have thorns and on top of that, they're long and they hurt if you get tangled up in them. I pulled all I could and then said to hell with it. The flowerbeds look a lot better, but there are still some weeds that need to be pulled. I've left them for Gary...they're really, really stuck in there. As soon as it warms up for good, I will buy some lantana and plant a few more in the backyard. Some of them died during the winter, and I'll need to replace them. I also have bulbs I need to get in the ground pretty damn quick. My veggies are doing great - especially my lettuces, collard and mustard greens. I should have sprinkled some MiracleGro on them Sunday evening so that they could have gotten a nice snack with all of the rain! I've even got garlic and shallots coming up. Yay!!

So....I woke up at 3 am yesterday morning and found out about bin Laden. That was unexpected to say the least. I've really been intrigued by all of the different reactions to his death, and the subsequent reactions to others' reactions. I'm a different animal politically. For every liberal left opinion I have, I also have a conservative right view as well. Like, I am pro death penalty, but I'm also anti abortion. Still, I believe in the right to choose. I believe in global warming and I think that the environment should be a priority. Yet, I hate spending $100 to fill up my tank and if we can drill for our own oil, then by God we need to! I'm anti-war, but I support our troops and what they sacrifice for all of us. I don't know if killing bin Laden is going to put an end to the terrorism and fighting in this world, but I also believe that if someone comes to our country and stages a mass killing, then we shouldn't have any problem obliterating them from the face of the Earth. Yet, I'm a mom and it really bothers me to see the innocent victims in all of this. So, yeah...I'm kind of a mixed bag when it comes to hunting and killing someone so awful. Do we as a country deserve justice? Absolutely. Should we be rejoicing in the killing of someone and quite possibly martyring him for his followers? Maybe not. I'm interested to see how this plays out within the terrorist community and how it will affect our lives going forward. I believe the world is a better place now that he's gone. I can only hope that the rest of the world feels the same way. I guess we'll see. That's my political rant for the year.

I was sad to hear about the snafu with the Myrtle Beach cook off. I guess the promotor didn't really understand the need to promote the cook off. I certainly can't fault the Directors for canceling their trip considering they were taking off from their paying jobs to support the non profit, volunteer organization that they help run. With that said....why not establish a board position/liason who can work with some of these newer promotors or cook offs to give them a boost from the CASI side? I know that there was some talk awhile back about a mentoring program for Pods...did that ever come to fruition? Why not something similar for new cook offs? Just a suggestion.....from a cook, and a sponsor, who only benefits from CASI prospering :) I don't think people realize that when I'm blogging about my CASI opinions. I think most people look at it as me being critical, hot headed and hard to deal with. Really? Suggesting ideas to help make our organization bigger and better makes me a difficult person. Fascinating.....

Speaking of sponsors....Mild Bills is working on a Bean Seasoning that will soon be available on our website. I'm going to be handing out samples for people to use when cooking beans at cook offs or at home. I'm really excited to introduce this product and I'm going to be eager to hear all of the feedback necessary to make this product popular!

I've got pork chops and rice on the menu for dinner tonight. I'll be sure and post the recipe tomorrow. Tomorrow night's meal will probably be tuna casserole. Don't gag - it's delicious and my kids eat it! I love it....it's total comfort food :) I made chili last night - and I used Mild Bill's Gunpowder Foods Chili Mix. It's easy to make, quick to make, and even kids will enjoy it. This is more of a homestyle chili and it's great over hot dogs, fritos, or even crackers. It hit the spot last night!

Oh - winners from the 23rd Annnual Larry Joe Taylor Music Festival and Chili Cook off:

68 Chilis

1. Dee Palmer
2. Melinda Sawey
3. Steph Brockman
4. Gary Brignon
5. Jason Clark
6. Jimmy Moon
7. Jamie Palmer
8. Kelly Brignon
9. Vicki Sanders
10. Patty Spears

Her name escapes me, but the lady from Comanche who has won beans every year won beans again this year!!! I believe her name is Kathy and she's such a nice lady!

Thank you so much to everyone who helped run the cook off - Steph Brockman, Gary Napier, Kris Stewart and of course the Ellis Co. crew of Mark and Vicki Sanders and Lord Brignon. If I forgot anyone, I apologize....but I did drink this weekend...so give me a small break!

Have a great afternoon....I hope to be back tomorrow!!

Spreading my own special brand of kindness, joy and political offerings....

Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment