Saturday, January 8, 2011

Tomato Soup, Beans, Wine, Dogs, Marriage, and Other Random Subjects

First of all, I'm not apologizing today for being a bad blogger. Last week was not a good week and there was just no need to blog. Gary and I are still in shock and disbelief at Uncle Larry's passing and combined with the work week from hell, I wasn't feeling it. Gary visited with Theresa yesterday and she's holding up okay, still in a daze and still terribly sad. My heart really breaks for her, Tracie and Misty. If there was anything Larry loved (besides Crown), it was his grandbabies and it just makes me so sad that he will not be here to meet Misty's baby. Life is short...and cruel...and weird.

Last week I made homemade tomato soup and today I've made a pot of beans. Below are the recipes:

Cadillac Cowgirl Creamy Tomato Soup

2 28 oz Cans Pureed Tomatoes (I used Hunt's)
3 tsp Sugar
1 1/2 tsp Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
1 Tsp Salt
1 Garlic Clove, minced
1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
1 Tbsp Olive Oil

In a 5 quart soup pot, saute the minced garlic in the olive oil over low heat for five minutes. Add the tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper and simmer at a medium low heat for 10 minutes. Add the cream, turn the heat to low and continue to simmer for 20 minutes until heated through and blended well. Serve with french bread and a salad.

Cadillac Cowgirl Pinto Beans

1 lb Bag Dry Pinto Beans
1 Small Onion, chopped
1 Bone in Ham Steak (Cooks or Smithfield Brand)
3 1/2 Tbsp Bolner's Fiesta Pinto Bean Seasoning
1 tsp Salt
26 oz Swansons Chicken Stock
4 Cups Water

In a large soup pot, par boil the beans for 20 minutes; drain and set aside. In the soup pot, sear the ham steak and add the chopped onions. Pour in the chicken broth and deglaze the bottom of the pot if needed. Add the beans, pinto bean seasoning, salt, pepper and four cups of water. Bring to a boil, cover and turn the heat down to medium. Cook for one hour. Turn to low and simmer until beans are tender. Should you need more liquid, add a little water at a time. Check and adjust seasoning if needed. Serve with cornbread.

My dogs are morons. Eddie weighs 10 pounds. He regularly tries to kick the asses of the larger dogs that weigh in at 130 and 110, respectively. Today, Eddie bit off more than he could chew and I believe the experience has humbled him. NO....I am not an advocate of dog violence. Nor do I like for my dogs to get into domestics. I'm merely pointing out that Eddie likes to stir shit and today no one was in the mood to take it. He is in his cozy cave taking a nap. He was not harmed in any way.

Just in case anyone else is on the Switzerland dating site, it's not me. My debit card was hacked and some lonely skank is looking for love in the Swiss Alps. Whatever.

I really don't have anything CASI related to flip out about. Do I think that CASI is still mired in a bureaucratic self important nightmare? Yes. Do I think that CASI will ever change? NO!!!! But....what I am supposed to do? You know, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. So, you know...I'm just going to shut up for now.

Speaking of insanity...marriage. That's all I'm going to say.

Can someone please tell me why the Seahawks are beating the Saints? If that isn't a WTF question then I don't know what is!!!!

The girls and I are going to go to Mass in the morning. Zoe is looking forward to it and maybe we'll even get up early enough for them to go to Sunday school. I promised her I'd make chicken fried steak tomorrow night. I don't know if I'll be able to share that recipe. That's always a messy beatdown kind of meal.

Can I just say that I totally cannot believe that I own Mild Bills now? I am so excited and nervous and pumped up and every other emotion that goes along with starting a new chapter in your life. This is going to be the most amazing adventure ever. I'm so friggin excited!!!!

I've been doing my best to support a CASI sponsor, Woodbridge Wine. Their Pinot Noir is delicious and my MIL bought me a very large bottle of the Cab. I love it and I'm really enjoying their wines. I'm still a Zinfandel homer and I love, love, love Seghesio and Mauritson wineries, but the Woodbridge is pretty kick ass :)

Holy Shit!! I was just informed that Coal Miner's Daughter will be on at 6:30. I'm outta here bitches!!!!!

Spreading my own special brand of joy and kindness...yet torn between CMD and Jets/Colts. SHIT!!!!!

Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment