Sunday, January 2, 2011

Greetings

Good Sunday morning. I've had a hard time saying "happy new year" knowing what a crappy way 2010 ended and 2011 is starting off. Today we all begin to say goodbye to Uncle Larry and I can't imagine what this is like for Theresa, her girls, son in laws and grand kids. I hope that God watches over them and comforts them now more than ever. This is so hard for everyone and I know that as sad as so many of us are, our main focus is on Theresa and supporting her and being there for her and the family. It's just so surreal....it's like it hasn't really sunk in for a lot of us.

So, we had a low key NYE at the house. I made delicious enchiladas, Courtney and I battled one another for intellectual superiority and drank too much wine :) We went to Kary's for our annual NY Day feast yesterday and ate TOO MUCH FOOD!!! It was sooooo goooood and I was miserable when I left. I had to stop and get coffee so that I could stay awake on the drive home. We ended up at the hall last night with Mark and Vicki and had a toast to Uncle Larry, some good laughs, a lost diamond ring (mine) and a Jack in the Box run! I found my ring - it had fallen in Courtney's purse. The person who dropped it was more freaked out than I was....I guess he figured Gary was going to go batshit crazy....LOL!!

My kitchen is a disaster and I have no motivation to pick it up. I've also got Christmas stuff in my bathroom that I've GOT to put up...again, no will to do so. Today is the day, though. I REFUSE to start off the week with a messy kitchen. I am okay with a messy bathroom and messy laundry room, but the rest of the house has to stay clean. I'm weird like that. The Saints are about to play Tampa Bay. Last week when the Saints played the Falcons, I was in awe of Drew Brees' attitude and body language. The guy is 5'9", but he carries himself with so much confidence and his body language just screams, "you won't beat me." I've always liked him and the Saints, but I was so impressed with him last week. I hope they beat the shit out of Tampa Bay. And the Steelers play the Browns at the same time...I'm going to be flipping back and forth. I love the Steelers, but I also love Colt McCoy. I hope it's not a blowout.

I have a few recipes to share. I made a quick version of my chicken enchiladas Friday night. I used precooked chicken, stacked the tortillas instead of rolling them and used the Hatch green chile sauce. They were absolutely delicious. I also had them for breakfast this morning with a fried egg over the top. Hell yeah!! I made cabbage yesterday for our lunch at Kary's and I loved how it came out. The cabbage is great as a side dish or you can use it for corned beef or even bratwurst. Yum!!

Cadillac Cowgirl Chicken Enchilada Casserole

18 Corn Tortillas
1 lb Precooked Chicken Strips, chopped (Tyson, etc. I used the fajita flavored)
8 oz Cream Cheese, softened
1/4 Cup Chopped Onion
1 4 oz Can Chopped Green Chiles
1 Tbsp Butter
1 Can Hatch Green Chile Enchilada Sauce
1 Tsp Fiesta Enchilada Seasoning
Salt and Pepper to taste
Mexican Crema (or sour cream if you can't find it)
1 Bag Shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese or any Mexican Cheese Blend

Spray an 11x9 aluminum pan with non stick spray and preheat the oven to 400. In a large non stick skillet, melt the butter and saute the onions over medium low until tender. Once the onions are soft, add the green chiles, chopped chicken, cream cheese, enchilada seasoning and salt and pepper. Stir to combine and continue cooking over low heat until heated through and the cream cheese is completely melted; set aside. Layer six corn tortillas in the bottom of the aluminum pan. Spread 1/2 of the chicken mixture, 1/3 of the cheese and drizzle the Mexican Crema over the top. Layer six more corn tortillas over the top and repeat. Top with the remaining six tortillas, pour the green chile sauce over the top and sprinkle with the remaining shredded cheese. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Uncover and cook until the cheese on top is melted and bubbly; remove from oven. Drizzle a lttle crema over the top, cut into squares and serve alongside beans and rice.

Cadillac Cowgirl Cabbage

1 Head of Cabbage, cored and chopped (don't chop it too small)
1 Small Onion, chopped
6 Slices of Bacon, chopped
2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a large dutch oven, brown the chopped bacon in the veggie oil until almost crisp. Add the chopped onion and saute over medium low heat for about 5 minutes. When the onions start to brown a little bit, add the 2 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar to help deglaze the bottom of the pan. Scrape all of the brown bits off the bottom and add the cabbage. Turn the cabbage to coat and cover. Turn the heat to medium and allow the cabbage to wilt and cook in the bacon grease/apple cider vinegar mixture. Take the lid off every few minutes to coat the cabbage and mix it around so that all of it has a chance to wilt down and cook. Turn the heat to low and allow it to simmer for 20 minutes. The cabbage should be tender and still have it's shape; you don't want it to be mush! Enjoy!!

My husband and kids have gone to see True Grit. It's just me and the puppies here at the house and I know that they could care less if I clean the kitchen. They would prefer that I get in my chair so that they can get in my lap and nap. Eddie is in his cozy cave and Waylon is running around like he just hit the pipe. Fred's hair is starting to grow back - Yay!

I guess I better sign off and attempt to be productive. Larry's viewing is this afternoon from 4-6pm at Keever's in Ennis.

Keep it real,

K

No comments:

Post a Comment