Monday, January 10, 2011

Give Peas A Chance......

When I wasn't wallowing in my bottle of wine and pajamas, I actually prepared some kick ass food over the weekend. I also straightened up and cleaned out mine and Gary's closet and facilitated a laundry intervention. Even when I'm a barely dressed wino, I still get things done :)

I am a fan of the pea...black eye, purple hull, green and my all time favorite: Cream peas. Summer is best for fresh cream peas, so during the other months of the year, I slum with black eye peas. I made a pot yesterday to go with the chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes. I would share the recipe for the chicken fried steak, but I left it at home and I'm still debating whether or not I want to tweak it a few more times before I post it. The peas are below....give 'em a chance, will you?!?!?!?

Cadillac Cowgirl Black Eye Peas

1 lb dried black eye peas
6 oz salt pork, chopped into bite size pieces
1 small onion, chopped
1 tsp beef granules
1 tsp pepper
Salt to taste
8 cups of water

In a large dutch oven or soup pot, cover the peas with water and parboil them for 15 minutes; drain and set aside. In the same pot, brown the salt pork over medium heat and add the chopped onions. Continue cooking over medium low heat for 5 minutes and add 4 cups of water to help deglaze the bottom of the pan, if needed. Then add the peas, beef granules, pepper and the rest of the water. Bring to a boil, cover and allow to simmer over medium heat for 45 minutes. Turn the heat to medium low and let them finish cooking until tender. The broth will thicken up a little, but it won't be very thick. Taste for salt - depending on your preference, you may or may not want to add any. Enjoy!

Gary and Tyler built a playhouse sized doghouse for the hounds Saturday because of the upcoming cold weather. They each have their own doghouse now, but Gary decided to build them a heated doghouse! They all got in it Saturday night with the heat on and slept comfortably. They've come out a few times to use the bathroom and eat, but overall, they're quite comfy in their ultra-fancy heated doghouse.

Don't know what I'll make for dinner this evening. We've got leftovers and that may be what Gary gets to eat! I'm not sure I feel like cooking this evening....

Keepin it real in Ellis Co......

Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment