Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Chili Pods

I'm afraid this post might have a rambling tone to it...so bear with me. I've been cooking chili for about 6 years off and on. I am a member (in name only) of two pods and an active member of one - the NOW Pod. Under no circumstances do I believe you have to be a member of a Pod to cook chili. Nor do I believe that all cook offs should have to go through a Pod. It might make things easier, but I'm sure it would also create a new set of problems. Here is where I'm probably going to veer off course a few times. Our Pod is relatively small. We all get along, (most of us...I've kicked a few people off the island recently for being assholes), we have a good time, we have productive, non confrontational meetings, and we all pitch in at our cook offs. We put on the Gingerbread House cook off each year - it's three days and it's a huge undertaking for us. We are blessed with an incredible charity that works their asses off all weekend. They are a dream come true for us. I see other Pods with charities that hide when there is a cook off to benefit them. We added another cook off last year and we are responsible for a few others in our area. So....if you have Pod members, do you require them to help out. Attend every meeting and be an active member? Or, do you recognize that you're going to have a core group of people that are always going to help and a few that are going to pitch in if you need them to. I think a lot of Pods exist in between both of those worlds. What I disagree with is the number of chili cooks who go to Pod meetings, complain about how their Pod cook off is run and then don't do anything to make it better. Or the ones who don't show up at meetings at all, and then bitch about the cook off. Why do people feel compelled to be a member of a Pod if they don't really give a shit what goes on. I understand most of us join Pods so that the Pod meets the required number of members to be seated at the GP meeting. I'm beginning to wonder what an organized Pod accomplishes that a group of people can't. For example, if the DAM Pod didn't exist, the Garland Elks would still have their cook offs. If the NOB Pod wasn't around, Wichita Falls would still have cook offs two or three times a month. People are going to cook chili and help out regardless of a Pod affiliation. What exactly does a Pod accomplish that a group of well meaning cooks can't?

I'm sure a lot of you are scratching your heads - I'm a GP and I'm questioning the necessity of Pods. I thing they're great - I love mine...we get along with each other. But what about the other ones where you have a GP and a few other members doing the brunt of the work and about 15 others bitching and moaning about how the work (they aren't doing) is being done. Or, a Pod with a group of members in complete disarray because they have no leadership from their GP. Do we continue to take an easy going approach to these people and just ignore them? Or do we (like I did) tell them to get the hell out, we don't need your bullshit? I think it's an interesting question to ask. What good are Pods if you can't put on a productive cook off with one. I think a lot of people would rather have a group of cooks they know will pitch in to help run a cook off instead of a required number of people to satisfy CASI's requirements who won't be nearly as productive when it comes time to do the dirty work.

Again...this is not an endorsement of or argument against Pods. I'm just thinking out loud about a lot of different things I've heard people say and do over the past year or so. I love our Pod...I wouldn't trade it for the world. We're small, but everyone helps out and there's no bullshit with any of us. We have our meetings at a Hall and the most I've ever seen anyone get worked up is when someones drink was empty. I think Pods can be a great thing for chili. But do we require the Pods follow more rules to make sure the members contribute equally, or do we have less rules and see how people choose to participate. It's an interesting question...kind of like big government versus a smaller one.

It's just chili, people. We aren't saving the planet. We are raising money for a good cause and I don't see why we can't get along doing it. We choose to cook chili..that's the only individual aspect of the chili world. The rest of it is community driven and I don't understand all of the politics and infighting. Yes, it's a hobby...one we all pay to participate in. If we choose to pay to play, though, does that necessarily give us the right to expect our voices to be heard if we aren't going to back up our words with actions? I guess that's where I kind of veer off about the whole Pod thing. I'm not trying to argue for or against Pods. I am sure that besides ours, there are a lot of other ones out there that get along great and are extremely productive. I'm wondering about the other ones...the ones that are filled with infighting and negativity. Or are those a figment of my imagination? I don't think they are....I think they exist and that's sad considering what a great cause we're all cooking for.

Like I said, you don't have to be involved with a Pod to cook chili. But if you are going to be involved, be a productive member. Be a positive force within your Pod. Speak out if you think you can make a difference. Don't be satisfied with the status quo. Maybe Pods are the best way to conduct CASI business on the regional level. Maybe they aren't...who knows. The best we can do right now is improve the system we've got.

I'm really just thinking out loud - I'm not necessarily arguing a specific point. More than anything, I'm curious to hear what other people think about Pods...the one(s) they're a member of, or ones they see in action...or inaction.

Have a great day everyone. I bought mine and Gary's tickets to Miranda Lambert Friday night, made reservations at Ruth's Chris and got us a hotel room at the Hilton in downtown Ft Worth. We're going to cook chili Saturday in Paradise. It's going to be cold, but I wouldn't miss that cook off for anything. I'll post the flyer again today.

Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment





Blog Archive