Saturday, January 30, 2010

Random Thoughts

Good Afternoon from a very cold Ennis, TX. Thirty five chili cooks braved the cold weather this morning to cook at Rahr Brewery in Ft Worth. Congrats to everyone that placed - ya'll are some brave souls for being out in the cold...or fools...or both. I think we chili cooks are a combination of both. And I say that with a lot of love :0)!


When I decided to start a blog, I thought I'd write about food, wine...tattoos, of course and my cracked out family and work life. Interestingly enough, I've found that this blog has become an outlet for something I try not to discuss too much in a less than positive light: the chili world. Most of you know I ran for a Director's position at the last GP Meeting and I was not elected. Looking back, I believe that was an invaluable experience and I can say whole heartedly I'm glad I was not elected to the Board. Chili politics are insane. It baffles me how worked up people can get over a friggin bowl of chili. It was a real eye opener to see all of the personal agendas floating around out there. I cook chili for a lot of different reasons. It's something my husband and I enjoy doing, we can take our kids, we've met some wonderful people and made some very dear friends. One of the things I don't like about cooking chili is that sometimes you go to a chili cook off and it's a non stop bitch session. Everyone is quick to complain; few have any alternate solutions to back up their complaints. I have always liked that old, cliched line, "Be a part of the solution, not the problem." As corny as that sounds, it's true. Why bitch and moan if you can't back up your complaints with a solution? Sometimes there aren't solutions, I realize that. I'm certainly not telling anyone that they can't bitch about CASI unless they know how to fix the problem. I'm not delusional. I just wish their were more solutions being discussed instead of problems. I wish we weren't wasting a perfectly good chili cook off arguing about CASI and how it does things...or doesn't do things. I had a situation last year with a cook off being scheduled in our area without contacting me or the RR by someone who knows the rules. I addressed the issue with her and a CASI official. Guess what? The same person scheduled the same cook off and didn't notify us in advance. What does that say about that person? She knows she can get away with it. She helps CASI out quite a bit...what are they going to say? What does that say about CASI? It tells me, and plenty of other people who have similiar issues with CASI, that the rules only apply to certain people...and when CASI feels like enforcing them. Am I being a little presumptious with my opinion? Probably. Am I pretty much right on the money about the inconsistencies within this organization? Hell yes I am.


I don't want this blog to become an anti-CASI page. I'm very much a supporter of CASI. I believe in CASI's mission. I think CASI is out to help people less fortunate than ourselves through Chili, Charity, and Fun. I can't think of a better way to support those in need by cooking chili with my friends...circling the motorhomes with my buddies and putting out snacks to share. There are many positive things about CASI. However, I'm a rules girl....(seriously, I am!!), I believe in all people being treated equally and rules being applied to everyone the same way. CASI has a hard time applying the rules equally and without prejudice. I'm sure it's difficult to do so when you are overseeing a bunch of rednecks who cook chili in the summer in TEXAS in 120 degree heat!!!! You're dealing with thousands of people and all the personalities, drama and baggage that come with every damn one of us. Could CASI make more of an effort to see that the rules are followed consistently? Absolutely. But who's going to make them do that? See...that's where being a part of the solution comes in handy. We need to quit the decisive bickering that goes on at our cook offs. I'm not talking mutiny here...but lets put our personal chili agendas (that even sounds ridiculous, but they exist) aside and focus on the big picture. We elect these officials, we spend our money supporting these charities...AND the many sponsors. We have a right to have our solutions considered.


I've carefully climbed off of my soapbox - still have that pesky head injury that I wouldn't want to aggravate with a fall off of my high horse....LOL!!! See...I've got a sense of humor about this stuff, really! I'm thinking about getting my sexy Eddie and relaxing on the couch for a few minutes. There's a party at the KJT tonight and we've got to get there early so we can get a good spot at the bar. We have priorities, you know?


I promise this isn't going to be some lame, complaint ridden blog! I've got some recipes to try out tomorrow and if all goes well, I'll post them tomorrow night or Monday. I love cooking. I was very particular about my kitchen when we had our house built...so I like putting it to good use. For me, this is the best time of year to get lost in cooking. Lots of soups, casseroles, roasts...you name it. My husband requested a roast earlier in the week....maybe I'll put that one the menu for tomorrow.


I'm off to enjoy a cocktail and snuggle with my sweet puppy. Have a great Saturday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment