Saturday, January 9, 2010

Cadillac Cowgirl Hearty Chicken Soup

Good Saturday Morning! Is everyone staying warm? I know of some very dedicated chiliheads out cooking chili today in Amarillo, Bastrop and Marshall. Good luck to everyone. The cold weather here has stressed out our electric service and we've had power outages out here in the sticks throughout the morning. After three failed attempts at making breakfast, Gary went to Kolache Depot and brought home kolaches. Crisis averted.

Sooo...I made a huge pot of soup the other night and I wanted to share the recipe. It's super easy to prepare and comes together very quickly. You don't have to simmer it all day, but it tastes like you did. The recipe and directions are as follows:

Ingredients

1 whole chicken, diced or shredded (it's okay...cheat...buy a prepared rotisserie chicken at the store)
12 oz package of wide egg noodles
2 48 oz boxes of chicken broth or stock
1/2 stick of butter
2 T olive oil
1 1/2 T salt (or to taste)
2 tsp pepper
1 T dried of fresh parsley
3 Yukon potatoes, peeled and diced
3 carrots, diced
3 celery stalks, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 large onion, diced

In a large heavy bottom soup pot, melt the butter and olive oil. Add the onion, carrots, potatoes, salt, pepper and parsley. Saute 10 minutes or until soft, but not so much that they are falling apart as they will finish cooking in the broth. Add in your garlic and saute for a few minutes, then add the chicken and cook for a few minutes longer. When it's heated through, add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Once the soup is boiling, add in the egg noodles, cover and turn down to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the noodles and veggies are tender. Serve with a salad and hot rolls.

I hope everyone has a great weekend. I have cleaning on my mind for the next few days. I need to get my Christmas tree out of the living room and my room put back together after the onlsaught of Christmas. I have laundry to do, floors to sweep and mop and a stinky dog to bathe. I've got to get everything done by 6 pm so we can head to the Hall and watch the game.

Have a great day!

Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment