Monday, April 5, 2010

Of Paige and Potatoes

Good Morning...I've been lax in my posts. Sorry....hahaha. I'm still trying to get into a normal life routine (whatever that is) since we moved into the house in September. I'm failing miserably. I thought if I cooked less chili and stayed home more, I might be able to find my groove and settle in. Nope...not happening. Hopefully by September I'll be settled in, have a decent routine (that doesn't get effed up by laundry) and be able to have a normal, productive life. I'm not holding my breath....

I haven't cooked chili since the beginning of March. I cooked in Garland and got 10th place with one of my experiments. I felt so confident about the experiment recipe that I mixed it for my husband when he went to Mens State. He got 6th place thank you very much. He's such a cooperative chili guinea pig :) I hope to cook this weekend in preparation for Ladies State, my most favorite cook off in the world. I'd like to place at that cook off at least once in my lifetime. Maybe I can do it this year. Last year I placed 20th out of 197 cooks. I'd like to make the Top 10 in a few weeks. Yeah Right!!!!

Easter was great - tons of food! I carb loaded on Babe's chicken, corn, mashed potatoes and gravy, biscuits and more gravy. Steph made the most delicious green bean casserole and I also had a few bites of the creamy Gruyere potatoes I contributed. I've got the recipe to post this morning. Everything was delicious and we had a good day. We got up and went to Mass like the good Episcopalian family that we are and then we ate and drank like heathens. Hell Yeah!

Paige has had too many moments this past week for me to remember. She played Jesus at Church last Thursday and was absolutely precious. She also informed me that if I want a drink, I can get it from the mammary glands. WTH?!?!?!?!?!?!?! She was explaining to me how baby animals get drinks....I almost swerved off the road when she said that to me. And to be fair, I made sure she called my mom at some ungodly early hour of the morning to inform her as well. I like to spread the joy that is Paige......


Okay - these potatoes are unbelievably rich and delicious. I've made them twice in the past week and they rock. Do not eat these if you are watching your carbs, fat or calories. And do not, under any circumstances, share them with anyone who doesn't have a deep and lusftul relationship with cream, cheese and butter. They have no business being wasted on haters :)

Cadillac Cowgirl Gruyere Potatoes

10-12 medium Yukon Gold or Baby Red potatoes, sliced thin
8 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 small sweet yellow onion (Vidalia or 1015) chopped
8 oz of cream cheese, softened
1 cup of cream
1 cup of half and half
2 tsp salt
2 tsp black pepper (I use Telicherry coarse ground pepper. You can find it at the store in a pepper grinder)
2 Tbsp Rosemary, chopped and divided
1 Tbsp Thyme, chopped
1 cup Gruyere cheese, grated and divided...and even more if you prefer :)
1/2 stick of butter (I like to use salted, sweet cream butter)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 13 x 9 baking dish. Slice the potatoes thinly and place in the baking dish. You can layer them or dump them in...your choice! Combine the cream and half and half in a measuring cup. In a large skillet, melt the butter and saute the onions and garlic over low heat until the onion is tender. Add the cream cheese and 1/2 of the cream/half and half mixture to the skillet. Stir constantly over medium low heat until the cream cheese is melted and the mixture is smooth. Add the salt, pepper, 1 Tbsp of rosemary, thyme and 1/2 of the grated Gruyere cheese. Cook over low heat until the cheese has melted and the mixture is heated through. Add the rest of the cream/half and half a little at a time and allow it to thicken up a little. You might not need all of it...so add the rest sparingly. You don't want it to get too thick as it needs to coat all of the potatoes in the baking dish. Check the cheese/cream mixture for seasonings and add more salt and pepper if necessary. Don't be afraid to add more salt and pepper. Remember that potatoes are really bland. Once you have your cheese mixture seasoned to your tastes, pour the mixture over the potatoes. Top the potatoes with the remaining Gruyere and rosemary. Bake uncovered for an hour to an hour and a half (check them after an hour by piercing with a fork to see if the potatoes are tender enough). The potatoes should be tender and the cheese brown and bubbly. Allow them to stand at room temperature for about 5 or 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy the deliciousness of all the cheesy, creamy gooey-ness!

Have a great day....I strive to post more frequently this week. I haven't had a whole lot to communicate/gripe about. I've got a few chili opinions but I need to do a little more asking around before I go off :)

No comments:

Post a Comment