Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Eastbound and Down, Loaded up on Xanax.......

Well, technically, it's southeast bound and down in our case.  We've booked our trip to New Orleans for our anniversary.  YES!!!!  YES! YES! YES!!!

We arrive in NOLA on Friday 8/10 at 8:50 am.  This gives us time to check our bags at the hotel, mainline some coffee at Cafe DuMond (gotta wake up from my Xanacoma as we will be flying) and then head over to Mother's for lunch.  I can already taste the Ferdie Special with Debris.....mmmmmmmmm...........

Our hotel is within blocks of Mothers, Acme Oyster Bar, Muriel's and all of our favorite places in the French Quarter.  I seriously cannot wait to get there.  It's really not that far away and I am so freakin anxious to get away and just have a good time in my favorite city.  Red Dress Run here we come!!!

Gary came up to the store Sunday and smoked two racks of ribs using both Spirit of the West BBQ Rub and Mild Bill's BBQ Rub.  He also basted them with our Mild Bill's BBQ Sauce and they were FANTASTIC!  I made Trisha Yearwood's Crock Pot Mac and Cheese and a big pot of beans to go with the ribs.  Dinner was fantastic.  Here is the recipe for my beans.

Cadillac Cowgirl Pinto Beans

1 lb dried pinto beans
4 slices slab bacon, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 can chicken broth plus 3 cans of water
1 Tbsp Mild Bill's Bean Seasoning

In a large soup pot or dutch oven, soak the beans for a few hours or overnight; drain and pick out any bad pieces; set aside.  Using the same soup pot or dutch oven, add the diced bacon and cook it until it starts to brown; add the diced onion and cook over medium low heat until the onion starts to soften - about 5 minutes.  Add the beans back in and pour in the chicken broth plus the three cans of water.  Bring to a boil and add the bean seasoning.  Stir to combine, cover and turn the heat down to medium.  Simmer over medium to medium low heat until the beans are tender (about 2 hours).  Add more water as needed (use warm or hot water so as not to bring the temperature down; you want to keep an even simmer) and more bean seasoning to taste if needed.  Serve with cornbread and enjoy!

I keep forgetting my fried chicken recipe.  I need to remember to bring it to the store with me so I can post it.  It's pretty bad ass if I do say so myself.

Yesterday, Paige asked me how old I was when I got my Expedition.  I told her I thought I was 34 or 35, but that I couldn't remember for sure.  She then asked me if I liked being old.  I told her I was only 38.....

She said, "Yeah.  You're old.  Do you like it?"

Can you believe that?  38 is now considered old by my child.  I guess I 'll have to start telling her I'm too old to take her places....hahahaha!

Speaking of.....

Our first river trip of the summer is this coming weekend.  Hallelujah Jesus, Mary and Joseph.  We are all looking forward to floating and relaxing and just having a great time.  We also booked RV sites for Labor Day weekend, also known as "The weekend Kelly stalks Charlie Robison for her birthday"!!!

I better get to work.  It's been a busy summer at Mild Bill's!  I'm happy to announce two new items - Terlingua Sunrise Habanero Jelly and Orange Chile Marmalade.  They are both out of this world delicious :)

Have a great Tuesday!!

Spreading my own special brand of kindness and joy in all that I do.......

The Cadillac Cowgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment