Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Ice, Laundry, Nap, Food, Wine, Coffee, Repeat

Well....at least I can get a lot done indoors when I can't go to the office! And....I didn't have a panic attack from not going in. Holy Shit - it's the end of the world!

So yeah, Paige and I got up and had breakfast, I sorted laundry, drank coffee, stoked the fire, fixed the heater in the dog's custom made doghouse, did more laundry, hung up and folded laundry (I HATE laundry), read, took a nap, fixed lunch. I've also been cooking, too. I made spaghetti and meatballs and now I've got a roasted veggie soup going and homemade croutons. I'll post both recipes. I'm off the coffee, so I'm going to pour a nice glass of wine :) Okay, wine is poured. Thank you Carole Rankin for the bottle of Hob Nob Pinot Noir. It is FANTASTIC! I've really been into Pinot's lately. Zinfandels are still my fave, but I enjoy Pinot Noir because it still has the same notes as Zins; dark fruits, vanilla, and tobacco, but it's a little lighter than the Zin that to me is just as full as a Cabernet. Ugh! I kind of sound like a wine snob and let's make something clear: I am NOT a wine snob. In fact, I dig the Chillable Red Franzia Box Wine just as much as the good stuff. I have a box in my fridge that I was drinking today. So there!

Gary is on his way home from Abilene. It took him five hours to get to Irving and he slid quite a bit once he got into Grand Prairie. He should be home by midnight...I hope! The boys have missed their daddy, so have Paige and I. She's in her room hanging with Gilbert waiting for the Upside Down Show to come on and trying to stay awake until Gary gets home. She's enjoyed her day off from school...she's been able to just chill :) I think we're all going to be stuck inside again tomorrow. I know that I'm not letting any of our trucks on the road with all of the ice and stupid drivers who haul ass like nothing is wrong. I mean, we aren't even going to get anywhere near above freezing. Damnit!!

I tried a new way of making meatballs and they turned out pretty good. I also made a roasted vegetable soup and I LOVE it. Below are the recipes:

Cadillac Cowgirl Italian Meatballs

1 lb Ground Sirloin
1/2 lb Mild Italian Sausage, casings removed
1 Cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
1 Egg
1/4 C Panko Bread Crumbs
1/2 C Seasoned Italian Bread Crumbs
1/2 C Water
1 1/2 tsp Salt
1 1/2 tsp Pepper
1/4 C Chopped Parsley
Vegetable Oil

In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients until everything is mixed together. Shape into meatballs (about golf ball size) and brown on all sides in batches. Set aside to drain. In a large pot or saucepan, simmer the meatballs over medium heat using two jars of your favorite spaghetti sauce until done. Serve over pasta, or by themselves as an appetizer or party snack; or, you can freeze in the sauce for later use. Enjoy!

Cadillac Cowgirl Roasted Vegetable Soup

1 Large Sweet Potato, peeled and diced
1 lb Baby Carrots, cut in half
1 1/2 lb Diced Butternut Squash (you can buy it already diced at Walmart. HELL YEAH!)
1 lb Parsnips or Turnips, peeled and diced
1 Large Onion, sliced
1 Head of Garlic, pulled apart with the skins left on
2 Quarts Chicken Stock or Broth
Parmesan Cheese
Olive Oil, Salt and Pepper

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line two large baking sheets with foil. Divide the veggies up between the two, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and bake for 30 minutes or until tender. Stir the veggies once or twice while roasting. Allow to cool and peel the garlic cloves. Add half of the roasted veggies to a food processor or blender and blend on high until smooth; pour the blended half into a large soup pot and repeat with the other half of the veggies. Over medium heat, combine all of the pureed veggies with one quart of the chicken stock and stir the mixture together. Using a little at a time, add more chicken stock until the soup is a consistency you like. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until heated through; salt and pepper to taste. Check periodically for consistency and add more stock if preferred. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle freshly grated Parmesan over the top and add a few homemade croutons. This is seriously delicious soup!

Homemade Croutons

1 lb loaf of French, Challah, Brioche, or Sourdough Bread, crusts removed and diced into 1 inch pieces
Olive Oil, Salt and Pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Spread the pieces of bread along the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper; stir to coat. Bake, turning the croutons a few times, for 15 minutes or until crispy. Serve in salads, with soup (like Roasted Veggie Soup!), or keep in a Ziploc bag and use as needed.

My hubby should be home soon. Paige warmed up her little Gammy heat bag and went to bed. I guess she's worn out from her long day...yeah right! She was a good helper earlier. She went out with me when I checked on the dog's heater. She's such a sweet, delicious little baby. I love her so much.

Don't forget about the 10th Annual Gingerbread House CCO this weekend at the Ellis Co. Expo Center in Waxahachie. Did I mention it's indoors?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Stay warm, and be safe if you get out......

The Cadillac Cowgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment