Friday, June 25, 2010

I Know I Said No Meat.....

I just couldn't help myself! I got up at 5 am yesterday morning to pick up my new trailer and I didn't get home until almost 4 pm. I was worn out...but felt like having a nice glass of Shiraz (Rosemount Shiraz, very nice and inexpensive) and trying out a new spaghetti and meatball recipe. The meatballs were the BEST EVER and I'm going to post the recipe. I also experimented with the sauce and was really, really pleased with it. I'll include the recipe in this posting.

I love it when I find inexpensive and delicious wines. Tonight, however, will not be a night for cheap wine. Tonight will be the night for Martinelli...and Bacon Wrapped Scallops....and Lobster...and Sea Bass. Sea Bass? Yes! We're going to Pappas for dinner this evening and my hubby called the restaurant and asked them to have Sea Bass available for me while I'm not eating meat!! So yeah...while everyone else is indulging in delicious, rich, butter drenched filet and rib eyes, I will be feasting on Sea Bass. Sea Bass is my most favorite fish, so I really can't wait to see what kind of deliciousness they prepare for me! I love being spoiled and I am absolutely not ashamed of it at all!!!

I'm going to attend the BOD meeting tomorrow at the Arlington Elks Lodge. I encourage everyone to attend and take an active part in at least hearing what's going on with CASI and the Board. How can we facilitate and encourage change if we aren't involved unless it's a Great Pepper's meeting or an argument at a cook off? I don't agree with the Board a lot, but I'm willing to put myself and new ideas out there in hopes of creating a better organization. Oh well...

I know I've posted a spaghetti and meatball recipe before, but this is different and it uses turkey instead of ground beef. This is also a different sauce recipe also. These were some of the best meatballs I have ever made and by using turkey, you're making them a tad bit healthier. Substitute whole wheat pasta instead of regular pasta and you've got a pretty healthy meal. Enjoy!

Cadillac Cowgirl Spaghetti and Meatballs with Portabello Mushroom Marinara

1 lb Spaghetti, cooked to al dente

Meatball Ingredients:
1 lb Ground Turkey
1 lb Ground Sausage
1 Egg
1/2 C Bread Crumbs
3/4 Cup Grated Parmesan, plus more for topping the spaghetti
4 Cloves Garlic,grated or pushed through a Garlic Press
1 1/2 tsp Salt
2 tsp Pepper
2 Tbsp Chopped Parsley (I used fresh)
1/4 Cup Water
2-3 Tbsp Oil for browning the meatballs

Sauce Ingredients:
2 28 oz Cans Crushed Tomatoes (I use Contadina brand and I tend to buy either the Italian Herb or Roasted Garlic when I'm making spaghetti sauce. I used the Italian Herb for this recipe)
2 Shallots, finely diced
1 Clove Garlic, finely diced
1/2 Cup Portabello Mushrooms, sliced
Pinch of Salt, Pepper and Sugar
1 Tbsp Chopped Basil (I used fresh)
2 tsp Olive Oil

Mix all of the ingredients for the meatballs in a large bowl. Form into balls (should make about 16) and brown in batches over medium heat in a large skillet or dutch oven. You may need to add a little olive oil throughout. Drain on paper towels. In a large dutch oven (you can wipe out the one you used to brown the meatballs and make the sauce in it) add two teaspoons of olive oil and saute the shallots, garlic and mushrooms over low heat until everything is tender. Add in both cans of crushed tomatoes, a splash of wine if you feel like it, and the pinches of salt, pepper and sugar. Allow it to heat through and then add the basil and the meatballs. Cover and cook on medium heat until the meatballs are cooked through, about 25 minutes. Taste the sauce for seasoning and adjust as necessary. Serve over cooked spaghetti and top with grated Parmesan. Serves several!!

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! I've got to finish painting my trailer, the Cowgirl Cadillac. Once I finish up on her, I'm off to my new one, PussyWillow Rose :). She's in great shape - I got a hell of a deal and I can't wait to start decorating and renovating.

Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment