Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Conversations With Paige

Paige:  Mommy, isn't there some kind of meat stuff in meatballs?
Me:  Yes.  Meat.
Paige:  I know, but isn't there some kind of meat in the meatballs?
Me:  Yes....meat.
Paige:  I'm confused.  What do they use to make the meatballs?
Me:  Paige!!!  They use meat.  What the ?????
Paige:  But what kind of meat?  That's what you're not getting.
Me:  Paige, it can be any meat...beef, pork, turkey....whatever.
Paige:  Turkey is meat?
Me:  Oh Paige.....

I figured out that kids have a total disconnect between meat and what makes the meat.  It seems like once they figure out the cute pig is actually bacon, they sort of freak out.  She knows what meat is....I'm hoping this was just an isolated event.

As most of you have read on FB, my child finds it embarrassing that I don't place at cook offs, she's completely prepared to ax me in the event I turn into a Zombie and try and bite her and my husband and I have had the most horrific time dealing with our douchebag business partner.  For all of the joy my life brings me, 2012 has completely sucked ass.  I hate saying things like that because in the big picture, I, we, (all of us!) are extremely fortunate.  Yes, we all have serious ups and downs, but we are alive, mostly healthy, mostly happy and live somewhat comfortable lives.  Over the past year, I have felt like my spirit has been tested and there are times, like now, that I think the douchebags of the world have won.  And then on the other hand, I remember that I'm unbreakable.  Life is hard.  Owning a business (read: Demo Company) is even harder.  Don't ever, ever have a business partner.  Never, ever trust that your financial well being will matter to someone else as much as theirs matters to them.  Remember who your friends are and don't be surprised when you realize who they aren't.  Marry someone that you would want in a foxhole with you and count yourself lucky to have friends and family (even if there aren't that many) who have your back.  From the outside, money looks like it fixes everything.  It doesn't.  It creates even more greed and when you are dealing with unscrupulous people, that greed will know no bounds.  There isn't anything wrong with having money (I certainly have enjoyed it), but I know now that I wouldn't trade peace of mind for any amount of money.  I am so lucky to have found something I truly love to do, regardless of what kind of money I earn while doing it, or what people think of me while I'm doing it :).  Mild Bill's has been a bright spot in an otherwise craptastic year.  I'm fortunate and even though Gary and I have been dealing with so much the past few months, I believe the best is yet to come our way.  Today is one of those days when I'd like to sit in my comfy chair in my kickin gray lounge pants, take a Xanax and a Hyrdrocodone, and drink a bottle of wine and drift off into a deep, uninterrupted sleep and wake up in a different reality.  Alas, life doesn't work that way and I wonder if it did, would we all be grateful for what we had if we didn't ever have to deal with how we wound up with it?  I believe everything happens for a reason and that there is a lesson in so many of our troubles and triumphs.  I guess it boils down to how deep you are willing to dig your heels in to hang on to who you know you are even when life is at it's lowest point and there doesn't seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel.  That's when I say to stop looking for the light and become your own. 

K   

No comments:

Post a Comment