Monday, November 21, 2011

Bottoms Up!!!

Aahhh...wine time! I got home at an early hour, opened a bottle of wine (Woodbridge Pinot Noir, supporting our sponsor) and started dinner. I made my version of Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana and you know what? It didn't suck! I'll post the recipe below. I also made pea salad yesterday for an early Thanksgiving with friends and since I can't remember if I've ever posted that recipe, I'll share it (again) as well.

How was everyone's weekend? Did all of you chili cooks go out and steal points? I did!!! I was worried I might not get a point and be the loser on the ride home, but I pulled a 3rd place out of my ass on Saturday. Congrats to Budda for placing 1st AND Qualifying. We cooked at Good Shepherd in Cedar Hill and it was a great cook off. I hope they have another one next year. Saturday evening, we took Gary's parents out to dinner for his dad's birthday. We went to our favorite place ever - Pappas Steakhouse and it was AWESOME!!! I had a Wedge Salad and we all (including the Juicy) had Lobster Bisque - she loved it!! We all had our usual steaks with crab mac and cheese, au gratin potatoes and creamed spinach. The creamed spinach was especially good. I got into a bind after dinner. They don't normally have the flourless chocolate cake, so if I want it, Gary calls ahead and asks them to make it for me. Please don't...I know...but it's our special occasion place...so give us a break :) I had my heart set on a glass of Scotch (The MacAllen 12 Year - all I can afford...LOL) and John whispers in my ear..."we have chocolate bread pudding".

Holy Shit!!!!

I looked to Paige and pulled a Jedi Mind Trick on her...

"Paige - since you like chocolate, get the chocolate bread pudding. It's good. You'll love it."

It worked!!!!!

She did like it - especially the ice cream on the side - and I got my liquid and chocolate dessert. I had reached Nirvana! I had my leftover ribeye and crab mac and cheese for dinner last night - it was just as delicious.

I cannot believe it's almost Thanksgiving. WTF?? I haven't done any grocery shopping. I guess I'll go tomorrow morning as soon as I drop off Paige. She gets out at noon for Thanksgiving break. I was at HEB this afternoon and it was a friggin madhouse. It's going to suck tomorrow morning.

It's thundering in Crisp, Texas. Yay! We got a lot of rain at the store today. Gary said it didn't rain much here at the house. I hate it when the MNF game is a crappy one. New England and Kansas City. Wow.

Okay, let's talk food:

Cadillac Cowgirl Pea Salad

4 cans sweet peas, drained
8 oz Velveeta, cubed
1 small onion, diced
4 boiled eggs; yolks removed and whites diced
3 Tbsp Dill Relish
1 Tbsp Mild Bill's Jalapeno Relish (plus more to taste)
1 cup Mayonnaise
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix all of the above ingredients together and taste for seasonings. Add more mayo if needed for a creamier pea salad. Chill for at least an hour before serving and check for seasonings before serving. Adjust as needed.

Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana - Cadillac Cowgirl Style

1 lb mild Italian sausage, casings removed
1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, diced
32 oz low sodium chicken broth, plus equal amount of water
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 large bunch kale, washed and drained, leaves removed from stalks and chopped
4 medium large red or yukon gold potatoes, sliced thin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon each salt and pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Parmesan cheese

In a large (at least 6 quarts) dutch oven or soup pot, brown and crumble the Italian sausage, onion and garlic. Drain and wipe pot pot; return the ingredients to the pot and add the chicken broth, water, potatoes oregano, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover and turn the heat down to a simmer. Simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Add the cream and the kale and continue cooking at a low simmer until kale is wilted and tender. Taste for seasonings; adjust to your preference. Serve with Parmesan cheese grated over the soup and warm French bread.

OH MY GOD!!! My ears are bleeding!!! Gary is watching That Metal Show and Axl Rose is attempting to sing songs from 10 years ago and he sounds like a dying animal. He won't change the channel. It's like a train wreck that he can't tear his eyes away from. This is freaking horrible!!!!!

Saw Breaking Dawn Friday Night at the Galaxy Drive In...it was very good and true to the book. Gotta wait a year for the 2nd part....oh no...what will we do?!?!?! Kidding, kidding..but it was a good movie. We were disappointed though, because there was no white trash fight at the drive in. Other than that, we had a great time!

I'm going to sign off for now. Here's a tip for those of you with young children. Don't be afraid of your 7 year old daughter and her penchant for going without undies. Be afraid of your 7 year old daughter who thinks she can wear her undies for 2 days straight and still think they're clean. Man.....I am so paying for my raising......

Keep it real folks....and change your undies daily......

K

No comments:

Post a Comment