Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New Years Resolutions: 0 Kelly: 1

I'm not counting being 5 minutes late to my hair appointment, or late to meet my sister, because those things happened December 31st :)! Nor am I going to count being on time to dinner reservations on that same day! It was just practice for the new year! We were on time for our movie yesterday. We were on time for school this morning.

We were hauling ass in the Expedition on both occasions.......

I still haven't gotten the knack of planning well and planning ahead. I've got my umpteenth planner and this evening I made notes in it. I've got to get my desk in order at the store. It is such a nightmare!! I wish I could wave a magic wand and clean it in mere seconds!

I made cabbage New Years Day. I used a ham steak instead of bacon and I liked it better. I also used Mild Bill's Jalapeno Relish. Delicious!!

Cadillac Cowgirl Spicy Cabbage

1 Bone in Ham Steak
2 Small/Medium Heads Cabbage, cored and quartered
1 Yellow Onion, chopped
1 Red Onion, chopped
1 Heaping Tablespoon Mild Bill's Jalapeno Relish
2 Tablespoons Butter
1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 Teaspoon Telicherry Pepper

In a large covered skillet or dutch oven, melt the butter. Once melted, add the chopped onions. Saute over medium heat. Once the onion starts to turn translucent, add the ham steak. Allow it to cook for about five minutes and start adding the cabbage until the skillet or dutch oven is full; cover and allow to cook over medium heat so that the cabbage will wilt. After about 10 minutes the cabbage will have wilted - add the remaining cabbage, jalapeno relish and salt and pepper. Stir the cabbage so that it all becomes coated with the melted butter, ham juices, relish and salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until cabbage is heated through and tender. Adjust for seasonings if necessary. You can serve it without the ham or you can remove the ham, shred it and return it to the cabbage and serve it all together. Enjoy on New Years Day with black eyed peas or any time of the year for a little extra luck!

I better go to bed...I'm worn out! Early morning for me....we are NOT going to be rushing around tomorrow morning!!!

Spreading kindness, joy and the unmistakable aroma of cumin.....

Kelly

1 comment:

  1. I love your camper, and your blog! Have you tried Mild Bill's pickled okra? ZOMG! delicious!!

    Cozi Calendar helps me...It's texts me 5 minutes-7 days BEFORE I have to be somewhere or doing something. It's free and you can use it on the computer or smart phone!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete