Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Not Feeling It

Can someone please explain this strange fascination with Lea Dunham and her show on HBO, "Girls"? I suffered through two episodes and had to stop watching it. What sucked me in was the (erroneous) comparison to SATC. That show is NOTHING like SATC and she is not the second coming of Carrie Bradshaw. Seriously. I don't get why this show is popular and why anyone would waste time watching it or her. That's not very girl power supportive of me, is it? I'd much rather watch reruns of SATC or DVR'd episodes of the Sopranos. Oh wait, I do :)

I am making Bubba help Paige with her math homework tonight. I knew it wasn't going to go well when she told us there were 13 yards in 2 yards. Even as Gary was holding up the wine bottle nodding his head yes I knew I didn't have it in me this evening to be patient. I don't know what my problem is - I had a great day. I guess the initial "I just don't understand" whining rubbed me the wrong way and I was never able to recover. It's not that I think she should always know the answer or not ever be confused....but the whining sends me over the edge. I don't want to yell at her, so I'm letting sweet, patient Bubba help her.

Conversations with Paige

Bubba: Do you know your multiples yet?
Paige: I believe so.
Bubba: Can you tell me what they are?
Paige: No. We have just started adding our multiples.
Bubba: Adding your multiples?
Paige: Yeah. Adding our numbers together.
Bubba: Paige, that's called addition.
Paige: I know that. We are ADDING the multiples together.
Bubba: Okay. We just need to move on.

Paige was late to school this morning. It was icy in the thriving metropolis of Crisp, Texas. I waited until 9:30 to leave and Chmelar and Skrivanek were still iced over. We picked up one of her classmates in town and the roads were fine, as was 287. It was just colder than a well diggers ass the rest of the day. There is no heat in the store....so we were bundled up working today. The spices love the cold temps in the store. The Spice Mistress, not so much :)

I made southwestern chicken enchiladas last night and I fried an egg to put over the top of the leftovers this evening. It was damn good. I thought about buying carnitas today and braising it with chipotle powder and habanero peach preserves. That's best saved for the weekend...or I could put it in the slow cooker. I've done that once before and it came out phenomenal, so I'd like to try it again. I've also got some country style pork ribs that I can do in the slow cooker. Years ago I had a recipe for sweet and spicy country style ribs and I can't find it anywhere. Maybe I'll google that shit.

Waylon keeps trying to get into the fireplace. He's a moron. He was standing here in the kitchen with his nose poked into the screen and then he ran around to the hearth in the living room, jumped up on it and got as close to the fire as possible. He makes me nervous with his love of fire. I'm afraid he's just going to jump in the damn thing one of these days.

Gary is going to the deer lease this weekend and I'm taking Paige to cook chili with me at the Irving Elks Lodge Saturday. She'll go over to Gammy's (shocker) and then Courtney and I are going to do dinner and a movie. At this point, we are thinking India Palace and Zero Dark Thirty. I can't think of any new places we've been wanting to try and Bubba says he wants to try Indian food. Holy Shit!!! Gary has been asking me where he can get a real Gyro, so we looked up Greek restaurants last weekend. We found a few we are going to try. Maybe he and I can do that Sunday when he gets home. Paige doesn't have school Monday, so she'll get an extra day in the Land of Yes and Never Wait......

I can't find my Nook charger and my battery is almost dead. Something I don't like about the Nook is that if you don't use their products for charging your Nook, then it either doesn't charge or does so very slowly. With the Kindle, you could use whatever you had that would fit. I've used Paige's Kindle Fire and I like the way things are stored on the Nook better as well as how you navigate through it. What I do miss is how you download books to the Kindle from Amazon and how easy you can rent and watch movies. Netflix and Hulu SUCK and I have not figured out how to get a movie off of Barnes and Noble. Help, anyone?

I'm going to sign off now. I need to switch purses. In my attempt to not shove so much shit in my purse, I carry a smaller one than usual. What happens though is that it soon begins to overflow with shit upon shit. Receipts, business cards, debit cards, wallet contents, change, shit Paige has shoved in there, etc. I like to think I can keep a neat and organized purse. I can't. Or shall I say, won't. I start out every newly appointed purse with the best of intentions, but within a week, it's all gone to hell in a hand basket. I gave my sister a very nice red Balenciaga bag a few years ago. It's now falling apart. My mom gave her a purse the other day when she saw it and I tried to giver her another one last night. I may have laundry piled up in my laundry room and bathroom, and not have a clue where my debit card is, but by God, my purses are lined up, organized and accounted for - along with my turquoise and boots :) Hey - we all have our priorities! Have a wonderful rest of the week. Tomorrow is hump day and I can't wait to see what the Hump Brothers have planned. I'm sure they'll spend the day earning their name :)

Spreading my own special brand of kindness, joy, and the unmistakable aroma of fresh cumin straight from the cooler!

The Cadillac Cowgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment