Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Cadillac Cowgirl Chicken and Dumplings

I grew up on Chicken and Dumplings. Like me, you probably make them the way your mom did. My mom made hers with Bisquick and they were to die for. In my adult like, I have strived to make dumplings like her. I've never quite succeeded. There were a few times that my dumplings were light and fluffy, but those were few and far between.

Then, I had Drucilla Stewart's chicken and dumplings and my life sort of changed. Then I had Kary Fieseler's and I became obsessed with making the soft, doughy strips of dumplings in a creamy broth. Again, I sucked. Repeatedly. I gave up and just resigned myself to being the taste tester and professional eater of my mom's, Dru's and Kary's dumplings.

But, I like a challenge. And, I refuse to believe a dumpling could outfox me. So, last night, I attempted to make dumplings that would be tender, cooked through and not sink to the bottom of the pot like a dead weight. I did what anyone in my shoes would do.

I bought a can of biscuits and cut those suckers into strips and made some effin chicken and dumplings last night!!!

Yeah, yeah...I know...not homemade dumplings. BUT! BUT!!! It worked! They were delicious! They weren't these horrid little hockey pucks stuck to the bottom of my pot. I made a condensed, weeknight version of chicken and dumplings. It still took a bit, but it didn't require cooking the chicken for a few hours and there was no labor intensive dough making...something I CLEARLY suck at. Below is the recipe for a working girl, I won't be beat by dumplings, chicken and dumpling recipe. With a little spice thrown in for good measure :)

Cadillac Cowgirl Chicken and Dumplings

1 lb chicken tenders, sliced, diced or chopped into bite size pieces
4 Tbsp Butter
4 carrots, diced
4 celery ribs, diced
1 onion, sliced
4 Cups Chicken Stock
4 Cups Water
1 tsp each Salt and Pepper
1 can of Buttermilk Biscuits (I bought the 8 count)
Poultry Seasoning, Parsley, Celery Salt, etc to season the dumplings

In a large soup pot or dutch oven, melt the butter. Add the veggies and saute on medium heat until the onion starts to become translucent. Add the chicken and continue to cook it until it's done on the outside. If you're like me and become physically ill at the sight of poached chicken, keep the temperature up and brown it a little and give it some color. Once the chicken is done on the outside, add the stock, water, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer on a medium boil for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, open your can of easy dumplings (read: biscuits), and roll each one out so that it's about an 1/8 of an inch thick. Then, cut the flattened biscuits into 1 inch strips. Using your seasoning of choice - I used Tony Chachere's, Parsley and a little Celery Salt, season those bad boys. I like my dough to not taste like, well, dough. Don't go overboard because this will also season your broth. Add the dumplings to the pot and cook them on a medium simmer until they are tender. If you like a creamier chicken and dumplings, add about 1/4 cup of milk, heat through and taste for seasonings; adjust as needed. Viola! You have just conquered Chicken and Dumplings!!!

My child even ate these. Yes, the pickiest eater in the world ate an entire bowl. I told you they were good! And, you don't even have to tell people you used biscuits. Let them think you rolled your own dough; cooked a chicken all day; pulled the veggies from your garden. Your secret is safe with me :)

Speaking of my child.....8 years ago I was in the hospital, stroking out and trying to keep that Juicy of Love and Deliciousness from coming out! She didn't want out, but my body couldn't take much more of her awesomeness!! Yes, she was 2 1/2 months early, but look at her now - perfect!!! She was and still is our little miracle and every day I thank God for my Peapod. She's such a sweet, wonderful and unique little person and I love her so much. We are so lucky to have her! We'll be at the Dallas Planetarium Saturday celebrating her birthday. She's so excited!!!

I better go...I've got spices to blend and orders to ship. I also have a lot of passive aggressive smart ass remarks I'd like to make, but Sheriff Gary's gag order is still in place, so I better keep my mouf shut. People still amaze me....there really is no limit to some people's d-baggery behavior. Thank God for Mild Bill's Spices and our wonderful customers!!!! I'm having a blast!

We've got the 2 for 1 Stocking Stuffer sale going right now and a very cool Brown Bag Special. You get three stocking stuffers for the price of two, a brown gift bag with tissue paper and all for $8.00! How can you beat that for a gift for a co-worker, someone you don't like, but need to get them something, in-laws, teachers, hairdresser - you name it! Gift baskets or gift bags - we got 'em!!!

Have a fabulous day everyone. Spread some of your own joy and kindness while you're at it. I know I will....along with the unmistakable aroma of cumin :)

The Cadillac Cowgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment