Wednesday, March 28, 2012

THE Birthday Dinner for Lord Brignon and Other Random Thoughts......


Cadillac Cowgirl Seared Ahi Tuna Steaks with Black Bean Pico and Chipotle Lime Rice

This recipe is a little involved but A LOT worth it  I made this up for Gary’s birthday dinner and the results were amazing. This is a perfect light summer meal or for a special occasion, even. The Black Bean Pico can be prepared in advance with the avocado and Queso Fresco being added before serving (you know, so the avocado doesn’t turn that nasty brown color!). You could even make the rice ahead of time and them slowly reheat it and toss with the Chipotle Lime Butter. I also used some already prepared Pico de Gallo from HEB to cut down on my prep time. You can always make yours from scratch. Enjoy!!

For the Black Bean Pico:

8-10 oz of Pico de Gallo
1 large Haas Avocado, diced
14 oz can Black Beans, drained
¼ cup Lime Vinaigrette Dressing (I used Newman’s Own Lite)
2 oz Queso Fresco, crumbled (you can always use more…you can never have too much cheese!!)
¼ tsp Granulated Garlic (from Mild Bill’s)
¼ tsp Salt (plus more to taste if needed)

Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl and adjust for seasonings if needed. Cover and chill for an hour or so before serving. **If you’re making it ahead of time, combine everything but the cheese and avocado. Add those remaining ingredients just before serving**

For the Chipotle Lime Rice:

2 cups prepared Rice (I used Basmati)
2 Tbsp Chipotle Lime Butter (recipe to follow)
Chopped Cilantro for garnish, optional
Salt and pepper to taste

To the prepared rice, add the Chipotle Lime Butter, mix well. Taste for seasonings and add more butter, salt and pepper if needed. Should you not have a strong aversion to Cilantro, add a few tablespoons of chopped cilantro for color and garnish

For the Chipotle Lime Butter:

1 stick unsalted butter, softened
½ tsp Chipotle Powder (available from Mild Bill’s)
3 Tbsp Lime Vinaigrette Dressing

In a small bowl, combine the above ingredients. Taste for seasonings and adjust to your preference.

For the Tuna Steaks:

2 4—6 oz Ahi Tuna Steaks
1 tsp Chipotle Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Chipotle Lime Butter

Sprinkle each tuna steak with equal amounts of Chipotle powder and salt. In a large cast iron or non stick skillet, heat the pan to almost smoking; add the olive oil and Chipotle Lime Butter. Place the tuna steaks seasoned side down in the hot skillet and turn the heat down to medium high. Do not move it; allow it to sear for 2-3 minutes and then turn it over to sear on the other side. Remove from skillet. 2-3 minutes per side will result in a medium cooked tuna steak. Adjust the timing to 1-2 minutes per side for rare and 4-5 minutes per side for well. Should you want to cook it longer, turn the heat down to medium after you have seared both sides to keep the outside from burning and your house from filling with smoke :)

To serve, top the rice with a tuna steak and spoon the Black Bean Pico over the top. Pair with your favorite wine!


My child has started telling Catholic jokes. How freakin funny is that?!?!?!?!?

Monday, when we went to HEB in Waxahachie to get the stuff for Gary's dinner, Paige lamented that she was quite hot and sweaty. She proceeded to tell me she was going to take off her clothes.

Me: I don't think so.
Paige: Why not? I'm hot and that white stuff you put under my arms this morning isn't working.
Me: You mean the deodorant? You will still sweat a little, it's supposed to help you not smell.
Paige: I smelled my pits. I don't stink. But I'm hot and I want to take my clothes off.
Me: Paige, you are not taking your clothes off.
Paige: Can I take them off on the way home? I'll keep the window rolled up a little so no one can see my boobies.
Me: Fabulous.

I was able to get her to keep her clothes on for the ride home. Jesus....

Later that night after we had eaten dinner, we all settled in bed for Mommy/Baby/Daddy Private Time. I came out of the bathroom and Paige and Gary were already in bed. Paige had her Nightmare Before Christmas Jack Skellington Ear Muffs. I laughed and asked her why she was wearing them. She says:

"Because this one (pointing at Gary) is going to start snoring any minute now and I don't want it to keep me awake."

I say....

"Then go get in your bed if it's going to bother you."

She says.....

"No, I want to have private time with you and daddy and when I wear my ear muffs and wear my sleep mask, I can sleep without being disturbed by Daddy's snoring and the light you keep on while you read."

Again, I say....

"Go sleep in your bed if you don't want to be disturbed."

And she says......

"I wouldn't be disturbed if Daddy wasn't so loud and you wouldn't keep the light on when you know I'm tired and need to go to bed."

I f*cking gave up at that point :)

I have been so unbelievably tired this week. I think the hormone shot has finally started to kick in. I guess I'll find out in a week or so..hahahaha.

Mild Bill's has three new blends it will be introducing in May - Mild Bill's Original, Mild Bill's Light and Lone Star Light :) They are all excellent additions to any recipe; two of them have a coarser grind while one is a finer grind with a really rich aroma. I'm excited!!

Have a good evening everyone....I'm going to have a glass of wine and read. In my bed. With the light on :)

Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment